Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we still nursing?

Default Are we still nursing?

DH and I were having a conversation about Daniel's "nursing" habits. Basically every day or two, sometimes more than once in a day, he will ask for "milk" and take one suck. Never more than one. He often asks for "milk" when he's playing with my belly. I guess he thinks the two go together.

DH says he's weaned. I say he's still "nursing" in his own way.

Thoughts?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Are we still nursing?

I vote "nursing". The act of nursing is much more than just filling up on milk so if he still wants that closeness with you (albeit only for a few seconds) I would say that he is indeed still nursing
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I vote "nursing". The act of nursing is much more than just filling up on milk so if he still wants that closeness with you (albeit only for a few seconds) I would say that he is indeed still nursing

ETA: baby with mouth on mommy's nipple (suckling) equals nursing in my book.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks you guys, I really needed to hear that. Neither of us was ready to stop, so I still hold on to what I can get. I'm thinking that in about 3 weeks that one suck will result in a mouthful of yummy milk and he'll get hooked.
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Thanks you guys, I really needed to hear that. Neither of us was ready to stop, so I still hold on to what I can get. I'm thinking that in about 3 weeks that one suck will result in a mouthful of yummy milk and he'll get hooked.

Are you looking forward to the look on his face when he finally gets milk again like I am with DS? IMO it'll be pricesless

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

If he asks and you give, that's nursing!

Way too lazy for formula

Its nursing. And, seriously, Lyn, when he gets that taste of that yummy milk, you might regret ever wishing he would get hooked again.

Seriously...I don't regret it at all! The look of surprise on Haylee's face when out came yummy milk was priceless! And she hadn't nursed at all in about 2 months!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

This morning he latched on and nursed for about a minute on each side! I can't squeeze out any colostrum, but maybe he was getting some? Either way, he still knows how to latch and nurse and it doesn't hurt me. AND we only have 3 more weeks!
    Lyn

That's basically what happened with DD1. The look on her face when the milk started flowing again was priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    If he asks and you give, that's nursing!

This morning he latched on and nursed for about a minute on each side! I can't squeeze out any colostrum, but maybe he was getting some? Either way, he still knows how to latch and nurse and it doesn't hurt me. AND we only have 3 more weeks!
    3 more weeks!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Wow...3 more weeks? I can't believe you're at this point already!

Anyway, I agree...Still nursing!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!