Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supply very low...urgent... help

Default supply very low...urgent... help

baby has eaten 8 ounces since waking up at 8 am- its 7 pm now.

My breasts are almost empty but she wont nurse to empty it completely, keeps pulling back and looking at me intently like "hey why isnt there any milk ?" Also swallows a lot of air because she keeps pulling back and relatching.

Anyway she wont take formula, I am puming now, and she wont take the bottle of EBM either.

Can I try to feed her formula with a spoon ? What kind of spoon, I only have a small stainless steel one right now. I need pointers for spoon feeding. She i3.5 months.

She NEEDS to eat something- she looks so tired, my poor baby...

Help what do I do ?

How long will it take for my supply to come back ?

Default Re: supply very low...urgent... help

Why do you think your supply is low? Is she fussy at the breast?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

yes pulls back and looks at me. she just lies there with nipple in the mouth. I tried breast compressions and that worked for a little bit and then stopped working. My bby is used to dealing with oversupply and getting full without a lot of effort. I used to be able to pump 4-6 oz, but right now its about .5 oz tops at this rate. supply could be low bcos she sleeps through the night almost 12 hrs with one short wakeup in the middle (she nurses but falls asleep very quickly)

I have babyweigh thats how I know how much she has had.

are you due for a period? Sometimes a few days before your menstrual cycle begins your supply dips a little, but comes back up rather quickly.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

How is her diaper output? Wet's and poops the last few days?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*s.p View Post
    yes pulls back and looks at me. she just lies there with nipple in the mouth. I tried breast compressions and that worked for a little bit and then stopped working. My bby is used to dealing with oversupply and getting full without a lot of effort. I used to be able to pump 4-6 oz, but right now its about .5 oz tops at this rate. supply could be low bcos she sleeps through the night almost 12 hrs with one short wakeup in the middle (she nurses but falls asleep very quickly)

I have babyweigh thats how I know how much she has had.
    Is that pumping output after baby nurses?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Is that pumping output after baby nurses?
    No this is before baby nurses after about a couple of hrs, and I do have a babyweigh scale. I dont have my periods as yet. She has 4-6 poops every day, pees every 15-20 mts, coming to think of it, it was kind of low today.

I think its a combination of her sleeping through the night and the fact that she seems to have some stomach bug...causing loose stools and mucousy vomit/throwup.
    Is it ok to wake her up and feed her in the middle of the night ? How does one go about doing that ? Will she even nurse if she is sleeping soundly ?

If her output is okay, then there likely isn't really a problem.

Her diaper output is great, she's definitely getting a lot of milk. It's possible that she's nursing and acting different is because of the bug she's got.
    You could try to dream feed - which is trying to get her to nurse without waking her up. Offer her the breast and see if she takes it. She might or might not be willing to nurse go with her on this.
    If she's having good output though, she is getting milk!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!