Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: got the blues

Default Re: got the blues

She is exactly the age where nursing strikes happen. Keep pumping. She will come back. Pump as often as she used to nurse and then when she comes back her milk will be waiting.

I called the local LC and she told me to hang in there for a week and if she doesnt nurse after that week its considered a wean. I'll keep offering.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

It is hard, change is hard. Let yourself be sad, but know that she is her own little person. Keep offering, but try not to stress out about it. It's a goofy age, search for threads re: nursing strikes here, I think we've all been through it, with the same emotions. Is this your first post partum period? It coudl be affecting youtr milk supply? In which case, it will come right back up and maybe things will straighten out.

On my mind... we're all here, and we "get it."
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

My DD has never had a full on strike but has definitely had days where she'll barely nurse. Around 9 mos she one of those times and off and on since then. I have found that some days I have to really change things up...try a different location, a different position, etc. Right now she'll only nurse before nap/bed and only when SHE'S ready for nap/bed. If I try to nurse her other times or if I think she's tired and she isn't she flat out refuses and has a crying fit. She's also recently decided she doesn't like nursing in our usual chair and find I have to nurse her sitting on the floor.

Keep at it mama. I'm sure this will pass. And know that many of us have shed those same tears of frustration and rejection. It'll get better!!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Keep at it mama. I'm sure this will pass. And know that many of us have shed those same tears of frustration and rejection. It'll get better!!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

If she's teething, that could definitely be a cause. Even after a week, I don't think I would consider it weaning. Several of us around here has endured partial or full strikes lasting longer than a week. Have you checked out these suggestions for getting baby back to the breast? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html You never know what will work until you try it. I know one mom whose baby was on strike, she took her to a LLL meeting, baby saw all the other nursing babies, and she nursed, too. I've been able to nurse DS right after he falls asleep sometimes and one time, he started nursing again when we were outside on the swing (not a spot he'd nursed before). I've also heard that a bath for both of you can work wonders. Just keep offering. You might consider using a small, open cup for ebm. Hang in there! Strikes are so rough.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I am so sorry for all your struggles..I know how you feel. My baby only wanted EBM when I returned to work when she was 12 weeks
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilybug View Post
    I called the local LC and she told me to hang in there for a week and if she doesnt nurse after that week its considered a wean. I'll keep offering.
    Thinking about you today I hope things start getting better soon.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

We took a bath together. I sat her on my lap and put my nipple to her mouth and she opened it and quickly turned her head. She obviously remembers me, but just doesn't need me like that any more. I keep having mixed feelings, I will feel ok with this and soon be sobbing about it. I have to start my pd any day. Hey I sleep thru the night I am having small problems with lumps of milk. I would rather not pump, but I pumped about 3 times today to soften the lumps. I try to give it to her in her sippy and cross my fingers that she takes it. Thank you for your thoughts
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Lilybug,
    I am here to encourage you to rethink your perception on this. Your baby is just 10 months old. It seems that by the 2nd day you were convinced that she was weaning. It really isn't likely that a 10 month old will self wean. Strike yes, strike for more than a week YES but actually wean on her own NO. So really continue to offer, in fact offer more right before sleep. If you want her to sleep thru the night, fine. I understand that. But try to go in while she is napping and feed her then. Often striking babies will only feed WHILE Sleeping. It doesn't have to be over. But if YOU decide it's over, she won't have room to come back from the strike.
    Is your LC and IBCLC? Because "give it a week than call it a self wean at 10 months" seems like HORRIBLE professional advice to me. Honestly I have seen women here deal with strike that were a month long. I would just try to rethink this. In terms of you not being the best thing for her, again, no way no how. Don't doubt You are the best thing for her. I would stop giving her juice in a sippy. Offer her only water. If her only choices are water and breastmilk to drink, she may back to the breast sooner. It's a strike. DO research on strikes. Find out how to deal with a strike and treat it as such. She still needs you. And your breasts.

Way too lazy for formula