Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many ounces is "normal"?

Default How many ounces is "normal"?

My daughter is 4 weeks old, and I pump once each day - in the morning once I'm up for the day. I am only getting an ounce or an ounce and a half on each side after around 8-10 min of pumping. I pump about 30 minutes after she eats. That seems like hardly anything at all, and I'm getting a bit worried because I go back to work in another 3 weeks and want to have more stored up. Fortunately, I work from home, so I can nurse her in a pinch if necessary, but it will be tricky to coordinate between work responsibilities..

Thanks for your thoughts.

Default Re: How many ounces is "normal"?

Here is some great info about pumping.

From the above link

Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Many moms think that they should be able to pump 4-8 ounces per pumping session, but even 4 ounces is an unusually large pumping output.

It is quite normal to need to pump 2-3 times to get enough milk for one feeding for baby (remember that the pump cannot get as much milk as a baby who nurses effectively).

Many moms are able to pump more milk per session when they are separated from baby. Milk pumped when you are nursing full-time is "extra" milk -- over and beyond what baby needs. Don't get discouraged if you are trying to build up a freezer stash when nursing full time and don't get much milk per pumping session -- this is perfectly normal and expected.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

also, I would pump for a full 20 minutes on each breast to ensure that you are getting a few letdowns.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

That info is reassuring, thanks There is so much good info on the LLL site - I need to get better oriented to how to find it all!

When I tried pumping while full-time nursing I would get about 1/2 ounce total. The only time I would get more would be if my son missed a night-time feed and I needed to pump to relieve engorgement.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I can't comment on what is "normal", but I can tell you my personal experience. Before I started working again, I was trying to build up a supply. I was only able to pump about 2oz per side after about 20min of pumping. The first day I was back at work and away from DS, I pumped 5oz from each side after only 10min!!