Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LLL Meeting???

Default LLL Meeting???

I really need to get out and meet some Mommies. I love this site, but I would like to connect with Mommies that live close. I am an extremely shy person, so I haven't gone to any LLL Meetings. Can anyone tell me what to expect so I know what I'm walking into? Thanks everyone!

New Mommy to Michael 4-5-08
    and and new to the world of

Default Re: LLL Meeting???

i was really scared for my first meet, i was also in desperate need of help and crying uncontrollably at any mention of my issues, i was maybe 5 weeks PP.... anyway, i got there about 5 minutes early met the leader told her i needed help and started crying of course she said well have a seat and go ahead and BF if you like (i had never NIP) i did and the other mamas came in and sat with kids of all ages and some nursed and some were cruncy and some weren't and some knew each other and some didn't and there is always a structured disscussion on some subject followed by ATRT type talk after...

my advice, relax and go....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    my advice, relax and go....
    Definitely give it a try. I like to call or e-mail a leader beforehand, but most people just show up. Meetings usually have topic, but if people have urgent questions the leaders will usually get to that first. How organized/structured the meeting is depends on the leader's style and the size of the group. It really is a good way to meet people.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I've been to three, and I really enjoy them. At my local meetings it isn't the same group every time and there have been new moms at every meeting. Usually there are around 10 moms or so, and we sit in a circle on chairs/couches (obviously this will be different for every group!). There is a topic for each meeting - last month's was dealing with breastfeeding difficulties - and discussion about that. Then the leader opens it up for questions related to breastfeeding, and at the end we all sit around and chat about miscellaneous parenting things. If anyone wants some one-on-one help from the leader it usually happens at the end.

I've met some really nice moms there and I'm always eager to go because it's the only time I have to interact with like-minded women! It's a great resource and I highly recommend going to at least one to check it out.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

with pp..There is a topic and the group leader will start the discussion. If you are kinda shy it is a great place to just sit and listen until you feel comfortable talking. Our group is very diverse, you will probably find that you have things in common with a lot of the moms. There are no "nipple inspections." If you need to nurse your baby you do. No one sits and critiques your technique. Some women use hooter hiders, some don't. Every woman in the room had to attend that first meeting, including the leader so we all know how it can be a little intimidating to walk in that door.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

i am also very shy arround people i dont know, but i would encourage you to get out and go to a meeting. i have really enjoyed all the meeting taht i have gone to, the people there are so friendly adn having something in common, your baby and nursing, is an easy conversation starter. the leaders at mine are great and very willing to help with anything no question is dumb or unheard of.
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

What goes on at those LLL meetings?

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/LLL.html
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I had heard about LLL but was very hesitant to go. My mom had bad experiences with LLL in the 70's and then I had a very PUSHY acquaintance give me the meeting info - so I assumed that all LLL members were a bunch of "crazy breast-nazis".
    I met one of the leaders in advance - she came to my house and assisted me with BF (bad latch 5 days pp). She was wonderful. Meeting her gave me the confidence to go to the LLL meeting.
    They are not the "crazy breast nazis" I had thought them to be. I was actually really surprised. Ours is a pretty diverse group. It's really casual and laid-back. I was nervous my first meeting (especially since it was my first time out alone with DD and she was only 10 days old), but everyone was really nice. The topic for that meeting was on Weaning and Nutrition, so it didn't really apply to me, but it was wonderful to have the Q&A time. Afterward I also asked a bunch of questions one-on-one.

I've been going to the meetings religiously ever since (next week will be my 9th meeting) and I also became a LLL member.

I just started going to meetings a couple of months ago and was nervous as well. I emailed the leader before hand to get some info and make contact. It was very low key and comfortable- mom's with kids of different ages, some first time, some w/multiple children. They had a basic topic but put the most emphasis on Q & A focusing more on people's individual issues/questions. I would encourage you to go check it out. I felt the same way, just wanted to connect face to face with some other moms with similar issues. Call or email your local leader and feel free to ask questions before you go.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

It is a very relaxed enviroment. You won't be quized or anything and it is a great way to meet other moms. It is nice to meet others you have so much in common with. Some moms don't realize how much they will have in common but do. It is always nice to leave and feel proud of what you are doing
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work