Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopped bf a week ago,now having 2nd thoughts..

Exclamation Stopped bf a week ago,now having 2nd thoughts..

I'm ashamed to admit this but I stopped breastfeeding my son almost a week ago. It was due to the stress in my life. I was,and still am going thru a very rough spot in my life. I'm dealing with depression also. I stopped offering the breast,and gave him a bottle of formula instead.

About 4 days into this I had a moment of "what the heck am I doing" and put him to the breast. He took to it,no problem but unfortunately there was very little milk for him. He wont nurse if there's nothing coming out. And I think that's because he knows he can get food from the bottle. When I was exclusively bf him I did offer him EBM in a bottle since I will be going back to work soon.

I pumped this morning and was able to get an ounce and half out of my left breast and then 15cc's out of my right. I'm using a Medela Pump in style but looking into renting a Lactina again if it would help better than the PIS. So I guess my question to you all is.. what is my chances at a succcessful relactation?

Once my milk supply is back I think he will take to the breast again. I started feeling really horrible about the way he was reacting to formula and cant bear to feed him the stuff. He's so constipated and miserable. Never had those problems when he was on mommy milk. I would appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you.

BTW, I will be getting in contact with my LC at our hospital but honestly I'm ashamed to admit I did this so I'm hesistant. I feel like such a jerk.

*ETA-My baby is 10 wks old and nursed for 9 weeks prior to me stopping.
    Last edited by TEAIMommy; August 6th, 2006 at 10:46 AM.

Default Re: Stopped bf a week ago,now having 2nd thoughts..

I have never tried to relactate, but I would like to offer my thoughts. First, please do not be ashamed to admit anything, especially to the lactation consultant. CALL HER, that is what she is there for. I went thru this with my daughter and unfortunately ended up weaning her at 3 1/2 weeks. Are you co-sleeping? This may be a good thing, my son will cluster feed at night when his hunger increases, increasing my supply while we are sleeping! I did supplement until 11 1/2 weeks, and this is how we weaned ds off formula:

ALWAYS offer the breast first, then the bottle-no exceptions

try to pump for 5 minutes a side after each feeding

dink plenty of water, eat lots of oatmeal

my dr. prescribed me Reglan, and it worked, but this may not be an option for you because one of the side effects is increased depression (it made me weepy until I went off of it)

good luck!

Yep we co-sleep and I have always since his birth ate oatmeal for breakfast. I dont drink water but do drink tons of Kool-aid. Plain water makes me gag. I saw some info that you should put the baby to breast while sleepy so they can comfort nurse. I'm gonna start doing that ASAP to try and rebuild my supply.

I feel so much guilt over stopping nursing and honestly I dont know if I could handle an ounce of judgement over it without breaking. I worked so hard to breastfeed him. And was so proud that I was able to bf him longer than any of my kids. I feel like such a failure for stopping. I think I'm going to have to go up to the hospital where I gave birth and talk to her in person.

I feel like I have let my baby,my LC,my son's ped dr and myself down by stopping bf. Everyone was rooting for me,and so proud of the fact that we continued on this long. It's hard to admit I have failed once again.

please stop thinking you are a failure. try taking a bath with you son-that is lukes favorite way to eat

I just wanted to say your NOT a failure-- please don't think that--- You are doing what you can do for you and your child.
    I really have no advice on relacting-- but I hope it works for you
    take care and good luck!
    Whitney wife to Darren~~~~BWing and CDing and BFing (duh!)
    Mommy to Jace and Jadon identical twin boys (4-15-01)
    Mommy to Skyler(rambo) (2-28-04)
    Mommy to Ryder (5-02-06)
    Sawyer is here!!!!-(5-08-08)overdue!

Since he's been taking a bottle all week and is use to a rubber nipple I went and purchased a medela nipple shield. He did latch on for 5-10 mins while he was sleepy and laying in bed with me. I've pumped at least 4 times today and will pump 2 more times before bed. I'm hoping he will latch on a couple times tonight.

I am thinking about getting a SNS if this doesnt work. And asking my doctor about Domperidone. I'm desperate to get him nursing again. Especially after he had the worst day today due to constipation. It was so big and hard. All due to formula.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I just feel like crud for stopping. I knew I shouldnt have but I did because I was being selfish. Now I'm kicking myself for it.

I have to say, instead of feeling guilty, you should be patting yourself on the back for trying so hard to get this to work again.

I have just read through your posts and you sound like you are doing great-and I am very impressed!!

If you had only quit for 1 week then it *should* only take about that long to establish a full supply again. Of course, that is with LOTS of skin-to-skin, co-sleeping, baths, pumping with a rental-grade pump, etc. You seem to be doing all of this. Hopefully things will continue to improve.

Keep us posted and be proud of yourself!!!

Please don't be discouraged!

The idea of it is, it can take the same amount of time that you didn't nurse for your supply to build back up. So, since it's only been a week, it should only take a week to get supply back up. Pumping 8-12 times a day is a start. Try getting him to confort nurse. Also, instead of Com, try herbs. I don't think you can take the Dom with depression meds. I am also part of the PPD clan (lol) and I use the herbs for their safety. They also can work very well! Try more milk plus from motherlove.com. It's costly but works very well for many moms (24-48 hours)!.

Please don't beat yourself up. You made a choice that you thought was best. I have given up on relactating 3 times and in the end, I always go back to trying.

The PIS is a great pump.

CALL YOUR LC! She can help you! Support is the key to this (relactating and nursing in general).

PM me anytime if you need some advice (relactating or PPD). It's a horrible place to be in but it's not your fault. Remember that PPD is a disease and you are not you while you have it. It's not your fault!

Are you getting help for your PPD? If not, I would recommend that you talk to someone about it before it gets worse.

And remember.. Herbs are the safest way to go when you have depression! Both Reglan and Domperidone can cause depression both while taking and weaning from it.

I hope you feel better!