Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combination Feeding

Default Combination Feeding

I have been reading a lot about combination feeding and have a question for any moms out there that have done this. I return to work in a week. This is baby #3 for me. For baby #2, I BF before and after work - no pumping during the work day. I am planning on the same for this one. So, I have been getting my body (and my baby) adjusted to it slowly. Last week, we changed one nursing session into a bottle and this week will change a second one. My question is what to do on the weekends. For my second, I kept the same schedule - 2 bottles during the day. But, I have since read conflicting articles about it. Some say (kelly site for one) to nurse as much as possible on the weekends. I am worried that by doing that Monday and Tuesday will be quite uncomfortable due to my body making too much milk. Any moms out there have experience with this?
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Default Re: Combination Feeding

I'm curios about this too. I've gotten DD down to one feeding (milk/BF) a day, but Im not sure that she's ready to drop two even though she'll still get 3-4 feedings from me.

Also, I found this...

What do you guys think??
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

I would think this would be up to you....
    If you want to breastfeed over the week ends do.
    IF you want to give a bottle you can do that also, no right or wrong answer...
    If your trying to build up suply for day care you might pump over the week end and nurse also.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Differjean View Post
    Also, I found this...

What do you guys think??
    ? I am confused ? (Could be lack of sleep I got last night...or the stress I am feeling having to return to work.....or something is missing from this post )
    -ing Mom to:

I love this site!!

i bet a link is missing....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbbs-mom View Post
    ? I am confused ? (Could be lack of sleep I got last night...or the stress I am feeling having to return to work.....or something is missing from this post )
    It must be my stress of returning to work since I go back tomorrow.

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Whe...the%20Home.asp

I don't know what happened to it earlier.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.

for you today!! I hope that all went smoothly this morning!!

Honestly, that site just stressed me out more. Probably b/c my lo is only 4.5 months old - just added more guilt about me returning to work - wish I didn't have to, but would like to keep our house, insurance, etc.

I look forward to hearing how your lo did today - and you too!!
    -ing Mom to:

I love this site!!

This is my third week back at work and my lo is doing okay with combination feeding. I bf when i'm at home and she gets EBM in a bottle when I'm working. My mom (she takes care of my lo while i'm at work) says that the first feeding with her is a struggle. I think it's because my lo is expecting my breast and gets a bottle instead so she fights it. The next feedings are fine after that first one.

I exclusively bf in the weekends and after work because it's just so much more convenient and it's my way of making up for the time I'm away from her at work. I'm pumping all day at work so I just want to go home and hold my lo and mother her and spend time with her. So the best way to do that is to latch her on and bf her. I too feel guilty that I can't be with her all day but I have to work. I hope that in a few months we get to a point, financially, where one income will suffice and I can quit my job. But for now, I am pumping and bfing.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

I consider combination feeding (at least it's what came up when searching) to be BFed when home and bottle/cup fed formula(or milk) when away.

I guess I won't have to figure out the whole formula thing because DD refuses to eat it. I thought her babysitter could try it and gave her frozen BM in case she wouldn't eat it. I didn't think she'd eat it, but thought maybe since I was not there it was worth a shot. I tasted it and it's nasty! No wonder she wouldn't eat it.

She had a rough day..she wouldn't take her morning nap. Then they had a fire drill (it's a senior citizen apartment complex). Obviously she. really didn't like the fire drill. She did eventually pass out and sleep for two hours. She was really jumpy this evening. I guess the drill really did upset her.

As for me, I did okay. I cried a lot last night and early this morning. I did better once I got to school. They made almost all the teachers go to a training so there were only a few of us there and we got to work in our rooms the whole time. At least I got something done. I'm SO glad they didn't make me go to the training because I'm pretty sure it was a waste of time and I would have been more upset. Also, there weren't tons of teachers to constantly ask me how DD is. My sister came over to help in my classroom for community service credit, so that helped too.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)

how was your milk yucky? soapy?
    You can fix that....

heres a page about that:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html