Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3.5 month old - only 5 feeds ?

Default 3.5 month old - only 5 feeds ?

My baby has not put on any weight in the last 2 weeks, not feeding well. She
    is sleeping through the night and I tried to feed her every 2-3 hrs during the day, but with trying to get her to nap and feed I think she is eating very little.
    My LC told me that I should wait for 3-4 hrs for her to ASK to feed and then she will nurse better.

My baby eats only about 5 times a day now, after talking to LC. Is this ok ?

I am having a problem with her not taking naps. She is so wound up that by the time she is ready to eat again, she is so sleepy that she falls asleep at the breast (doesnt STAY asleep if I put her down) and so doesnt eat well.

My question is this: How much breast milk does a 3.5 month 12 lbs 14 oz bby need ? I have a scale so I can measure (it really has saved my sanity )
    I read somewhere that it is 2.5 oz for every 24 hrs for every pound of bby weight. So my baby would need about 30 oz - she is not eating nearly as much- I am worried. Is this right ?

I would appreciate any advice about trying to get her to nap and eat ok...

Default Re: 3.5 month old - only 5 feeds ?

How is your supply? If your baby is demanding less, your supply will suffer. Are you pumping to keep up your supply? It may be possible that your supply is low to the point that your baby isn't interested when it is time to nurse. I had that problem. My LC put me on an 8-12 time a day pumping regimen to boost my supply. I'm not an LC, so I may be completely off here about the reason your baby is falling asleep at the breast instead of nursing. I do think that you need to pump to keep up your supply. Only feeding five times a day, especially considering that it doesn't sound like your baby is actively sucking and getting a lot of milk during those times, sounds wrong to me. Does your baby seem okay otherwise? If I were you, I would probably call the doctor.

Oh, and as for naps, a contented and full baby is more likely to sleep, as least that is the case for my daughter. Your baby may not be taking in enough milk. You mentioned a scale. Do you have a Baby Weigh scale that can tell you how much milk is being consumed in a feeding session? If so, what do those numbers look like?

5 times a day seems low.. my 14 m old nurses 5-7 times a day and eats solids... BUT every baby is different. My daugheter nursed every 2 hours until she was like 10 months old.
    I would maybe get a sling you can nurse in and try that.. she can sleep, nurse etc all day long. Might be worth a try...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

30 oz sounds right. Most babies take anywhere from 25-32 oz daily (give or take). Have you tried nursing her after she's sleeping?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rorysmom View Post
    How is your supply? If your baby is demanding less, your supply will suffer. Are you pumping to keep up your supply? It may be possible that your supply is low to the point that your baby isn't interested when it is time to nurse. I had that problem. My LC put me on an 8-12 time a day pumping regimen to boost my supply. I'm not an LC, so I may be completely off here about the reason your baby is falling asleep at the breast instead of nursing. I do think that you need to pump to keep up your supply. Only feeding five times a day, especially considering that it doesn't sound like your baby is actively sucking and getting a lot of milk during those times, sounds wrong to me. Does your baby seem okay otherwise? If I were you, I would probably call the doctor.
    I am pumping- now. I wasnt till today. The LC is from the doctor's office.
    I dont know if she is taking in little every feeding because of her GI problem. She poops watery abotu 4-6 times a day, sometimes more. Pees every 15 to 20 mts (at least sometime last week, I cant usually tell because of the superabsorbent diaper. I found out when I had to do stool sample collection)

She spits up quite a bit and its extremely mucousy. Very much so, long dripping mucus. Do they do any test of the throwup to see what is ailing her ? Her stool culture was normal, dont have ovp results as yet.

Anyway, since she was not nursing extremely well, I think my supply dipped. She doesnt nurse very well when she is asleep. Even if she does she throws up because its really hard to burp her when she is asleep. Are there any tricks to burping a sleeping baby ?

I have a babyweigh scale. She was beginning to take in 3-4ounces every feeding last week, but has reduced to 1-2 ounces today. I need to make about 1.25 oz every hr to feed her properly right ?
    Last edited by @llli*s.p; August 9th, 2008 at 10:57 PM.

Has your doctor discussed the possibility of reflux? The mucousy spit-up sounds similar to what DD had/has - although she is also sensitive to dairy products and that contributed to the reflux/mucousy poops.

I know it can be scary when you think your LO isn't getting enough. But maybe all the analyzing (I am a HUGE analyzer!), weighing, etc. is keeping you from fully relaxing in both nursing and pumping, which can hinder let-downs. Just a thought!

Although I don't know your full story regarding baby's progress, if I were you I would probaby have the discussion with the ped. RE: reflux and/or potential allergies (I have read that allergies can prevent baby from gaining weight well). And in the meantime, put baby to the breast every 2-3 hours while awake - even if you don't feel as though your LO is taking in enough in each feeding, the more often you put her to the breast the more they will become stimulated, which should help your supply. Also, if you're worried about how much she is getting, maybe you could consider waking her up once during the night to do a dream feeding. My supply is at its highest very early in the morning - usually around 4-5 a.m. - and if DD happens to nurse at that time it's a really good session.

As for burping a sleeping baby, I always found that if I put DD over my shoulder and very gently patted, I could get her to burp even in her sleep.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.