Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Good companies for Working Mothers

Default Good companies for Working Mothers

Currently I work for a corporation that is in the top 10 picked by Working Mother as best companies for working moms. My experience here as been really good - the company as well as my colleagues are extremely supportive and go to almost extraordinary lengths (by American standards) to support working parents (not just mothers). Folks work from home when their nanny can't come in or their SAH spouse is sick. Folks take time out of their day to drop their kids off at ballet lessons, or soccer, or to take them to the paediatrician. They have generous leave-of-absence policies for new moms and parents of sick kids. They have a lactation room for breastfeeding Moms. Apart from that they subsidize many resources for working Moms - I got a lot of help finding childcare, I got a BIG discount on a really good breast pump.

I am wondering what it would be like to be employed by a large corporation that is not even in the top 100 of Working Mothers' list. I ask this because I may have to move companies because I am relocating to a new area to be with my husband who just got a great opportunity there. I am trying to see if I can somehow continue to be with my current company, but if that doesn't happen or if that leads to career stagnation, I may have to look elsewhere.
    Are there any women who know that their companies are not in the Working Mother top 100, but still have fairly pleasant, flexible lives as far as tending to the needs of their family? What kind of questions can I ask in the initial reconnaisance phase to determine how good the company is? Are there any other places to look for information?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Default Re: Good companies for Working Mothers

Is the list posted online? I don't know if the company I'm at is on the list.

Many small, family-owned businesses can be very family-friendly. They just don't make it into the lists because there aren't enough employees there to recommend them.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

From my experience it can depend alot on your immediate supervisor as well as the company. Where I work is moderately family friendly. We do not have any company policies on BFing or taking leave for family issues, at least at our facility, I work for a large company (50,000+ employees worldwide), but most policies seem to be by facility or group, our facility has approx. 400+ employees. Actually our sick/personal leave policy is extremely ambiquous. We do not have a set number of hours, it is just at the managers dicreation. Within my department, there it isn't common to WAH yet, but people are allowed to leave for kid's sports, school events and such as long as it isn't taken advantage of. Also I was able to pump in our first aid room, which has a sink and a lock on the door and my supervisor had no issues with me taking the time to do so. I am not sure if other supervisors in the facility would let their employees do the things our department does or not, since none of it is official policy.

So my suggestion when interviewing is talk with your supervisor and people in your department to try and get a feel for how they are versus looking strictly at company policies. Alot of bosses understand that they need to be flexible and alot don't that will usually make or break the family friendliness of your job.