Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hoarding food in cheeks

Default Hoarding food in cheeks

For some reason when DS eats he sometimes ends up hoarding food in his cheeks. My parents call it 'chipmunk cheeks' and think its cute, but it worries me. I'm afraid that he'll go to sleep with the food in his mouth and choke or something .
    I often don't catch it until DS wants to nurse and ends up trying to latch and chew at the same time.
    Does anyone else have this problem? Or anyone have any ideas as to how to get DS to stop it? I'm not sure what to do.
    TIA
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

Default Re: Hoarding food in cheeks

DD des the same thing....she stuffs her face! No suggestions, we are just in the same boat.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Yup. How old is your LO? Mine is 10 months now and has started doing this. I've heard that it's a phase and they get over it. Yesterday we found a piece of broccoli in DS's mouth an hour after we ate dinner. He doesn't like it when we do this, but we just sweep out his mouth with our fingers if he seems like he still has something in there.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Kaia has done this since I can remember and only now has she started to actually swallow anything.

I used to scoop it out after a while...no need to do that now. She's 24 months.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

DS does this, he's 18 months. Usually after a while he'll spit it out and hand it to me

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

My son is a face stuffer and food hoarder.

Try offering more water during meals to help wash the food down. Also, I have started putting my hand in front of his mouth if he has too much in there and needs to spit some out.

Make sure you model good eating- this sounds really silly... but we will do exaggerated chewing and swallowing and will actually show him the inside of our mouths to demonstrate the food is gone.

Can you have him watch other kids eat? Mine spent a few weeks with a cousin that's 4 YO and he would watch and watch him eat, and really tried to mimic everything. It really does help!

Lastly, during teeth brushing you can verify there's none left in there.

HTH!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I am so glad to know that DS isn't the only one and that he'll probably grow out of it. Thanks so much for the advice!
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    DS does this, he's 18 months. Usually after a while he'll spit it out and hand it to me
    This is the part I just love.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Ha! I thought DS was the only one. I'll notice he is chewing like an hour after dinner and am like WTH? He just saves some for later?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Gabe does the same thing- somedays he'll chew it back up and swallow and others he decides he's done with it and then it's a present for mama!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."