Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: White stripe...

Default White stripe...

When I finally pry miss pirrhana jaws off of my right boob, it has a white stripe right down the middle of it. What does this mean? It feels ok while she's eating...BUT when she's done...it hurts.

Ideas?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: White stripe...

I get that sometimes too - it is a sign of improper latch. The nipple is being unevenly compressed. Usually a deeper latch will help, or changing nursing positions.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: White stripe...

This is a good page on it.
    Molly is right, usually working on latch/positioning will help a lot. There are some other reasons it could be happening explained in the article.

HTH
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!