Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-Sleeping Questions

Default Co-Sleeping Questions

I am not entirely sure where to post this, so I'm just going to put it in a couple of places and hope someone knowledgeable can help me. (I'm sure someone will-I read posts on here all the time and get all kinds of useful info.)

Anyway, my 8 week old DD does not like to sleep in her crib. She might sleep for an hour (occasionally three hours) in it, but for the most part, her favorite place to sleep is in my arms or my hubby's arms. Who can blame her, really? It's warm and safe and comfy, and with me, she's right near her food source. When she was first born, I brought her into bed with us a couple of times just to try to sleep b/c I was exhausted. My husband was completely against it. First b/c he didn't want her getting spoiled, and two, b/c our bed really isn't set up for safe co-sleeping at this point.

Well, we were talking yesterday about different things, and I pointed out that we are basically co-sleeping with her at this point. Except its not in a big safe bed where we can all sleep comfortably and together. It's either me or him, in the recliner in the living room, uncomfortably and away from each other. So he's agreed that we can try to do it with a co-sleeper attached to the bed. This is the option we feel is best for us.

But he's still worried about the effects of co-sleeping. Will she be spoiled? Will she have difficulty going to sleep for someone else b/c she's used to sleeping with us? She just started daycare this week, and he doesn't want her to not take naps at daycare b/c she can't fall asleep b/c we aren't there with her.

He really just wants to hear from people who co-sleep with their babies, their experiences and advice, and what kinds of problems you've encountered. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks All!

Default Re: Co-Sleeping Questions

I posted on your other thread
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I co-sleep with my 2 year old son & 2 month old daughter & I wouldn't have it any other way.. My son has no problem taking naps without me now (when he takes them). I think if it's what works for your family, then do it. Trust your mommy instincts.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Co-sleeping has been a lifesaver for us. It gives everyone a chance to get some sleep instead of pacing the halls at 2am. I started transitioning my son out of our bed around 9 months old. I would get him to sleep nursing in his room and he would start the night in his crib. When he woke up in the middle of the night we would just bring him into bed w/ us. As he aged he would sleep longer and longer on his own.
    I use a sleep positioner in bed w/ us for our three month old. It's basically a blanket w/ two triangle wedges on it to keep them in place. It makes me feel less likely to roll over on her in the middle of the night. I also put a bed rail on my side of the bed so she can't roll out when she's sleeping on that side. I tuck the sheets underneath her so I can pull them up as high as I wish w/o worrying about covering her up. Good luck! and enjoy.

My LO is almost 4 months old and DH & I have pretty much been cosleeping with our son up to this point. For the past couple nights, we have started putting him in his own bed because I have had difficulty sleeping and LO has seemed uncomfortable and waking often. However, I have loved cosleeping and having my son next to me during the night. I do not believe it spoils them; they are babies and need nurturing. Many people will tell you that you "don't want to start that habit." You must do what works for your family. Have you heard of Co-Sleepers? They are like a Playard except they adjust to the height of your bed and your LO is right there ready to be held and nursed. I will have one ready when the next LO comes along. I have heard great things about them. Hope this helps a little!

We side-car our crib to our bed with my LO. It gives us more space in bed and she is safe from rolling off the bed. That way we didn't have to buy a co-sleeping bassinet which they soon outgrow. You can google side car crib for pictures and tips on how to do it.

Our LO takes naps just fine on her own although she likes to nap in her swing or bouncey chair right now.

I personally feel you cannot spoil a baby. In fact research shows that responding to your babies needs appropriately helps them be more independent as they grow up.

For me a well rested mama and dad was very important and this was the easiest way to do it!
    Adrienne, mom to DS1~2/5/00, DS2~ 12/2/02, and DD1~ 4/27/08, partner in crime to DH since 98. No Vax~ Wrap wearing~ Co-sleeping~and of course

We've been co-sleeping since my lo was born and I love it. I wouldn't get anysleep if we didn't. We have a bed rail on my side of the bed and have removed any unnecessary pillows and quilts. I'm so happy doing it and have even managed to fall back asleep while she finishes nursing. A great place to learn how to safely co-sleep can be found at the website Attachment Parenting International. Good Luck!
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

We also use a Co-Sleeper crib next to our bed and we love it! We started by using it with with one side of the wall down so her bed is flushed against our bed and we are able to see her. Then as she got older, we pulled up the side of her cosleeper up and pulled the co-sleeper away from our bed so she gets used to the "idea" of sleeping in her own crib. This is actually what our Dr recommended doing so that when she is awake she doesn't always see us right next to her but she knows we are still there in the room. We will be using it up until 6 months then our plan is to transition her into her real crib then into her own room. I really do think Co-Sleeper is a great idea which builds security and trust with the baby and their parents especially at such a young age. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angelirish19 View Post
    Anyway, my 8 week old DD does not like to sleep in her crib. She might sleep for an hour (occasionally three hours) in it, but for the most part, her favorite place to sleep is in my arms or my hubby's arms.

When she was first born, I brought her into bed with us a couple of times just to try to sleep b/c I was exhausted.
    I was right there with you too, Mama! My LO would only sleep a few minutes and would only sleep well if he was held when he was a newborn. Feedings at night was so draining that bringing him into my bed was the only way I could get some sleep. Needless to say, my DH and I have been co-sleeping w/ our LO for 4 1/2 months and I love it. We have a co sleeper right next to our bed and we put him in it when DH and I want some alone time, but within a few hours, my LO wakes up and he's right back into our bed. As he got older, sleeping alone got easier for him, but he still sleeps much better with us.

People would always tell me that sleeping with my baby would "spoil" him and that he would be very dependent on us. Being a first time mom, made me begin to question my parenting and my natural instincts. I then found this book called "Attachment Parenting" from Dr. Sears that validated a lot of my feelings. I highly recommend this book if you haven't heard of it yet. It talks about BF, Co-sleeping, outside advice, "spoiling," crying it out, and many more topics that first time moms may have.

I don't believe that you will spoil your LO by co sleeping with her. Keep doing what your instincts tell you, Mama!

born . . . 7lbs 3oz
    2 weeks . . . 7lbs 12oz
    1 months . . . 8lbs 5oz
    3 months . . . 11lbs 8oz
    4 months . . . 14llbs 14oz
    4 1/2 months and counting and all the time, I feel like a . is the best invention!

We also have a crib sidecarred to our bed and have been cosleeping since early on in some form- bassinett, in our bed, or with the crib sidecar. Cosleeping is a lifesaver- my husband was also very concerned at first, but he is realizing that the most important thing is what's best for the three of us (which includes everyone getting the most sleep possible) not what other people say or think. Which, unfortunately, many people are just misinformed and alot of the information being put out about cosleeping is very misleading. Check out the "sleep or lack of it" forum for lots more info/support. Also, Dr Sears has lots of info on his site: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

HTH...
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...