Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to wean DD but I'm concerned..

Default I want to wean DD but I'm concerned..

I have a 13 months old DD and I want to wean her, the reason, is, I'd like to try and get pregnant again and since I have to undergo fertility treatments I have to wean her first. I have to say that other then that I would have loved to keep nursing her, we both enjoy it so much, but I'm not so young and I know I can't wait any longer.

The problem is, she doesn't take a bottle, she can handle a sippy cup, but doesn't seem to like it and doesn't drink much of it.
    She is small. She weighs less than 18 lb (just at the bottom of the growth chart, while she was at 20% at 6 months). She loves to nurse but she's not big on food. The ped would sometimes remind me that I'm small myself, but then other times would say she's concerned with her weight gain.
    What would happen if I stop to breastfeed her all together, would she get enough calories from food/milk?

Right now I nurse her in the morning, before bedtime and I used to nurse her also during the day, once or twice, but I decided to cut the middle of the day feedings, hoping she would be more willing to drink from the sippy cup.
    I noticed that if she's really thirsty she can drink well from the sippy cup, but then she can go for hours without drinking.

There are 2 things that I'm worried about. 1. Getting dehydrated.
    2. Not getting enough calories/proteins if she doesn't drink enough milk.

I'm just not sure what I should do. Should I keep going with my plan and wean her? Should I wait for a while?

Default Re: I want to wean DD but I'm concerned..

I can't tell you what you should do, but I know if it were me, I'd wait until she was at least 18-24 mo before trying to fully wean. In the grand sceme of things, are a few months really that big of a deal? From what you discribe, it sounds like she is not ready to wean, since she is not really eating many solids or drinking from the sippy often.

Have you tried offering liquids in a regular cup? I know, messier, but she might prefer it and it's better for her oral development.

I personally would want to encourage (not force) more solids at this point. There really is nothing you can offer in a cup that will fully replace the nurtition in breastmilk. I don't know if you are vegetarian/vegan, but if not yogurt and meats are good choices for fat and protein. Avacado (if you can get her to eat it) is chock-full of nutrients (including iron), fat, and calories, so it would be another great one to offer.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject. HTH

I'm in a similar situation (minus the feeding issues).

re: weaning, or not...
    I'm 39 with a nearly 12 month-old DD (IVF+PGD). I'd planned to nurse DD for a year and then try IVF again. But, as her birthday fast approaches, I'm torn: my eggs aren't getting any younger, but nursing is SUCH a special time for us. I feel like I "should" wean, but I am not ready. Maybe I'll feel differently in a month or two -- or six. DH is supportive, thankfully.

re: feeding issues...
    My DD won't drink from a bottle or sippy cup either. She drinks best from a water bottle without the sportcap -- puts her mouth all the way around the opening. Try that. Or try trapping liquid in a straw with your index finger, then releasing it into her mouth -- baby bird style! Learned these tricks from her aunties.

Ditto the avocado for fat and nutrients. You might try whole milk yogurt with almond meal stirred in for fat and protein.

Feorsteorra - Thanks for your honest reply.
    The truth is, the more I wait, the less chance I have to conceive again, so half a year can really make a difference.
    She does eat solids, she likes avocado very much and she also likes yogurt and she eats veggies and other stuff, when I say that she's not big on food I mean that I feel that she would always prefer to nurse over food, she can refuse to eat but would never refuse to nurse, but maybe that's normal. What bothers me is that she's hardly drinking, and since she's really small I was hoping she'd drink milk (rather than water) but I'm not sure if waiting would make her more eager to drink from a sippy cup, I really don't know.

Mama Kate - Yes, our situsation is quite close, I conceived DD using IVF+PGD and am hoping to give her a sibling the same way. Thanks for the suggestion of mixing the yogurt with the almond meal, haven't thought about that, I'll try it.

I don't know if your baby would like a smoothie, but it's how I got my son to start with a straw. I used soy milk, banana, apple, blueberry,ice and tahini. I use the tahini a lot. Add to to yogurt, bread, granola. It adds extra fat and protein. Good luck. I'm also getting the urges to wean. It's such a hard decision!

I know it won't give her the emotional connection, but have you considered getting your supply up and pumping and freezing the extra? That way she'll still have the nutritional advantages of your milk after you wean.

Jennifer

Miss D,
    Do you have to use fertility treatments? I only ask because my friend used IVF with her first successful pregnancy, which led to the birth of her ds, but her second child was conceived without IVF. It was almost as if the first pregnancy told her body it could do it. Maybe this could happen for you, especially since you sound reluctant to wean, but you would like to add another blessing to your family.

Also, my little monkey, now 20 months old, was a really picky eater at 13 months. We used to mix everything with whole milk yogurt because that was his favorite. We mixed it with avocado, whole grain-multi grain baby cereal, tofu, etc... Goat's milk and cheese are good, too and easy to digest

As for closeness, my little guy who is now weaned, except for the morning wake up cuddle time, likes to replace nursing times with hugs and kisses. If hugs and kisses don't work because he is thirsty and not needing mama time, I offer him a straw cup with milk in it. I also leave a water cup out in the room all of the time, and he drinks periodically while he plays, so he does not get dehydrated. He and I actually cuddle more since he does not nurse all of the time, so please do not worry about losing the closeness you feel. HTH

Good luck! and {{{{hugs}}}}

solmama

I am actually in the same boat a you. But my doctor told me that I need to stop nursing because I am pregnant and due in August. My little girl sound just like your little one. I have a 10 month old who will eat foot but is not a fan of a bottle. She will drink from a sippy cup or glass but not that much. I am having a really hard time with it. She nursing mainly before a nap and at night. I don't know what I would do without nursing at night. Do you just let them scream or what? I'm sorry I have no advice for you but when I figure it out it sounds like we have two little ones that are very alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison123
    But my doctor told me that I need to stop nursing because I am pregnant and due in August.
    Did the Dr give any reason for you to wean other than because your are pg? Pregnacy in and of itself is not a reason to wean. Do you have a history of pre-term labour with a risk so high that you are no longer alowed to have sexual relations (ie an orgasim)? If not, then go ahead and bf your dd, because the contraction-causing hormones from bf are actually LESS than from an orgasim, so if you're allowed orgasims, there is no risk from bf.

I really was not given any reason, that is how I found this forum. I have been looking for ways to wean and I was interested in continuing to bf through pg. The only thing that went wrong with my last pg was that I got pre-clamisia. So the doctor might be worried about me developing that again, but she said that it is less common in second pg. I was two weeks early last time but I wouldn't consider that pre-term.