Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Thrush.... so now what?

Default It's Thrush.... so now what?

As in my other post...it's confirmed , it is thrush. So some things I forgot to ask at Dr's. I did ask about boiling my pump parts each time, but what about her toys and things? She's at that stage where EVERYTHING goes in her mouth To what extreme do I clean ? Someone who has gone through this... HELP ! Thanks
    [/SIGPIC]FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Mommy to Haley 6/20/2000- BF- 1 year
    Ella 2/20/2008- BF- 111 months

Default Re: It's Thrush.... so now what?

Yep...get ready to clean clean clean. Anything and everything that has gone into her mouth, or touched your breasts. I was lucky that Nolan got it when he was still too little to be putting EVERYTHING in his mouth.

here is some good comprehensive info too.
    http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t083100.asp

Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

How long does the yeast live on things? Can't find any info. Do I have to dump milk I have pumped last couple of days? I thought I read somewhere I didn't have to. I hope not.

Can I use antibacterial wipes to wipe things? Some of her stuffed animals I don't thing I can put in wash in hot water. Do I have to throw them out?

I never dumped milk...it never really occurred to me to do that.

My son was on the Nystatin for like 10 days so most likely you would go through that pumped milk in that time anyways. (so even if some reason it was in the milk you are both being treated anyways.)

Hmmmm, now I am so curious!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

It's ok if you go ahead and use the milk you've pumped, but don't save it. If he drinks it after he's rid of thrush it will reinfect him. I saved my milk over weekends, but no longer than that.

Add a cup of vinegar to every wash and wash everything on high, only wear/use bras, shirts, onesies, towels, etc once before washing, wash your sheets frequently.

It can be beat, good luck to you!! What treatment did your doc recommend for you and your baby?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Antibacterials don't kill fungus, boil everything you can, wash in hot water what you can, anything else you can set out in the sun (exposure is harmful to the yeast) and don't let her play with it for a while.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Ok thanks. I think Dr. will call in Diflucan sp? for me. That's what pedi recommended. I did just read that about the sun. When I go get my rx later, I will get vinegar too. What a pain!

It also helped me to rinse my nipples in vinegar/water (half each) after nursing.

Good luck again!! It is a total pain, but since you caught it early, hopefully it will be easier to kick.
    --Anonymous

My daughter and I battled this for over two months. I was much more effected by it than her. I was unable to stop the recurrence until I did the following combination of things. Hope this is of some help to you.

1. Change to clean bra every twelve hours. Make sure that the clean bra is either dried on the line in the sun or is dried well past dry in the dryer.

2. Dip breast in vinegar (white) and water solution after each nursing session and let air dry when possible.

3. Boil or steam all pump parts after each use and pacifiers in the morning and evening. Pitch pacifiers every five or six days.

4. Save milk no more than 24 hours. Yeast loves milk (or lactose rather) from what I understand. Do not freeze any of the milk you pump as it WILL cause reinfection later as the freezing process does not kill the yeast population.

5. Only store milk in the refridgerator with the caps for the bottles- not the nipples. Only put the nipples on the bottle when you are ready to feed (or daycare provider is ready).

6. Change breast pads after every feeding. I wore them so that the yeast did not build up in my bra where things were moist from sweat, and then it was like I was putting on a clean bra after every nursing session.

I know this sounds extreme, but as previously stated, this was the only way that we were able to get over it. I noticed that the symptoms seemed to worsen on days where I was sweaty. Try to stay dry. Also, continue to treat with nystatin for a full week after symptoms subside for BOTH of you. Simultaneous treatment is definitely necessary- or at least it was for us.

We have been thrush free for two full months now.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy resolution to this non-threatening but painful and irritating condition.

Tandem breastfeeding momma to Ellory 2.28.08 and Mallory 6.30.09
    Loving every minute of it!