Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to NOT add solids at almost 7 mo?

Question Is it ok to NOT add solids at almost 7 mo?

My pedi, of course, recommended that we start at 6 months, but my girl doesn't seem ready yet. She enjoyed trying rice cereal mixed with bm the first couple of times we tried it, but she's just not that into it...I believe she thought it was just a fun game the first couple of times. We have tried a couple other things like avocado, sweet potatoes, and pears (over weeks)...not even a tablespoon of each. She got a couple of small bites in, but she wasn't all that interested or eager to try any of them. I am not going to push her on any of it, especially since she seems to have multiple food allergies already. I just want to be sure that it is ok to continue ebm...that she is not missing out on anything that food might add, like iron. She is sitting up on her own, but eventually topples over. She seems to still have a bit of the tongue thrust reflex. Not sure about the pincer grasp...she does really well picking things up, but I don't think she's using her thumb and forefinger alone when doing so.

Anyway...she seems perfectly content with my milk, but do I need to be on supplements of any kind? I'm not able to eat most of the top 8, which has put me down to LESS than my pre-pregnancy size now. I drink and cook with fortified rice milk, and eat turkey for protein...sweet potatoes, blueberries, brown rice, oatmeal, peas, avocados, and some other fresh veggies and salad are pretty much my staple diet.

She got two bottom teeth at 5-1/2 months, and is now working on the top two. I'm thinking I'll wait until they are through her gums...should be within the next week...and give her some soft cut up veggies and see what she does with them.

Any input / advise?

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. She has silent reflux, which she is on Prevacid for...she is still nursing every two hours because of this...smaller more frequent meals. Sometimes she goes closer to 3, but rarely.
    Last edited by @llli*misty.girl; August 8th, 2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: adding a note

Default Re: Is it ok to NOT add solids at almost 7 mo?

IMO keep offering solids and keep it very low key.

We started offering my DS solids after he turned 6 mo (doing baby led solids) and he didn't really start eating until he was about 8 or 8.5 mo.

This is a great resource on starting solids for an allergic LO.

ETA: true chewing doesn't happen until after LO get molars. She should be okay with appropriate foods with the amount of teeth she has now.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I would follow your gut on what to do. Personally, I didn't push solids on dd very fast. She received all the nutrition she needed from bm and solids are only experimental at that age. I agree with pp, you can continue to experiment, but it's not a race to see how soon you can get your kid eating 3 square meals and 3 snacks a day. At under 7 months the solids don't offer half of what one bfing session offers You're doing great. I like the link.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

My DD is almost 6.5 and I still haven't offered solids yet. I know in my motherly gut that she is not ready for them. The ped had actually suggested to try giving solids since she was 4 months, so at our 6 month visit he asked how solids were going and I simply told him, I believe she's not ready yet (she was also 4 wks early, so she's tech. 5 months) and he respected my feelings especially since she's doing so much better weight wise.
    I got these 2 links from other previous posts on this subject. I've found them both helpful when people ask why I haven't started.

nutrition/vitamins/babyfood calories
    which shows breast milk to be one of highest foods in fats and calories, so why need anything else until baby grabs for it themselves.

delaying solids

Don't ever feel pressured, you know your baby better than anyone else!
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

Smile Re: Is it ok to NOT add solids at almost 7 mo?

Thank you all so much...I just needed some reassurance, as I feel that it will be clear when she is ready, but I'm obviously new to this and don't want to wait too long if it's best for her to start getting some foods in. She's clearly very healthy and gaining weight like she has been all along...in fact, at her 6 mo check up, her nurse asked if we're sure she isn't 9 months old.... We'll continue to take it slow and watch her cues. I appreciate your replies.

According to my pediatrician, breastmilk provides adequate nutrition up to the age of 1 year. Until that time, solids are just for experimentation with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. Don't be concerned if breastmilk makes up the majority of your child's diet until well after the 1 year mark, as the transition from needing only mama's milk to needing lots of solids is a gradual one.

My DD hardly touched solid food until she was around 14-15 months old, when she finally became interested in it. She's always on the high end of the height/weight for age charts, so obviously going without solids didn't hurt her.

If you're concerned about your child's vitamin intake, I don't think vitamin drops hurt. Just give them in the bath, because that stuff is messy and it stains!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my 2 cents

Once your lo shows signs of readiness I would "offer" solids. Breastmilk is the basis for the first year, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the intake of solids, but I think it's important for a child to get use to things like texture/taste etc...

I wouldn't force, but I wouldn't stop offering either, kwim?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

We started DS on solids at 6 months, but we never pushed it. When he had his top 4 teeth coming in at 6-7 months we stopped altogether since it was hard enough to get him to eat. We built up to 3 meals and a couple snacks by 9 months. Now at 10 months, he is really into solids and we give him cut up pieces of fruits, veggies, and meats, since he only really wants to feed himself now. Anyway, your LO will eat more when she's ready. Nothing wrong with offering IMO, but no point in pushing the issue. It will be a much more pleasant experience for everyone if she's really interested in eating solids.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Dont push it if shes content. There are plenty of moms who ebf til 1 year, no solids, nothing. Some kids just dont need it/arent ready for it. Go with your gut, you are doing great!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    my 2 cents

Once your lo shows signs of readiness I would "offer" solids. Breastmilk is the basis for the first year, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the intake of solids, but I think it's important for a child to get use to things like texture/taste etc...

I wouldn't force, but I wouldn't stop offering either, kwim?

We offered but dd had issues with food intolerances and spitting up and didn't really start solids till 8 months.... she is 14 months now and is just starting to eat a decent amount. After 12 months you need to make an effort to offer solids but before a year its all up to you...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!