Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 Year old - Still refusing solids!

Default 1 Year old - Still refusing solids!

My little girl was 1 last week and is exclusively breastfed. I feed her about 5 times during the day and usually twice at night. She's never shown any interest in solids. She'll pick at finger food, but has never let me feed her from a spoon. She manages the equivilent of about 1 or 2 teaspoons a meal at most I suppose? Although it'd be nice to make a breakthrough with solids, I've not been stressing out too much as she's still be putting on weight - I've just been putting safe options in front of her for her to pick at and focused on giving as many new tastes as possible.

She's never been a big baby - she was 6lb 11 born and is now 20lb 2. On the advice of my health visitor I've been taking her to be weighted every month to monitor her weight gain until she starts solids. Up until now she's always gainied well.

My worry is this last time I've had her weighted she hasn't put on any weight - just stayed at 20lb 2 which is what she was 4 weeks ago. She's just started crawlng about 2 weeks ago so I was wondering if this might have an effect?

I just feel like I've had the rug pulled from under me - although she wasn't eating anything I had the reasurrance she was putting on. Now this has gone I'm starting to fret!

Default Re: 1 Year old - Still refusing solids!

lempenn,
    firstly, good on you for letting your dd take her own time with starting on solids. That can be tough with "all" of the society around us stressing that babies need to start rice cereal at 4 months.

I know how scary it can be to think that your baby isnt thriving, but no weight gain in a month at one year isnt such a big deal. the rapid weight gain you have been used to drops off, and babies grow in spurts, so it may happen that your LO will slowly get FAT and then, while not gaining at all, will suddenly grow TALL, and they might seem like they haven't changed or gained anything at all for a little while. its quite normal, and no big deal, as long as she is putting out enough wet and poopy diapers every day, you know she's getting enough to eat, and you know that BM is nourishing and sustaining her.

when her body is ready to properly digest solids, she'll let you know about it by wanting to eat. You wont be able to stop her.

And some people are just light eaters. my dd is one of them, and now, at 3 years, she still weighs just around 22lbs, though she's perfectly developed and even advanced in other areas. my cousin was the same - super light weight (even at age 9 she still weighed just 40lbs!) and ate 'like a bird' (a TINY bird) and now she's grown up, still thin but tall, extremely athletic, and studying medicine at university.

Really, you're doing the right thing by making a range of foods available to her, just follow her cues and she'll be eating before you know it!

Thanks so much - it nice to know someone else is in the same boat! I really am starting to feel pressure now to get her eating something but anyone who has ever tried knows you can't make a baby eat anything it doesn't want to!

I'll keep an eye on her weight - I'm sure you're right that this is just a temporary plateau.

I also would not worry about just one month with no weight gain. Babies can grow in fits and starts, not always a steady path up. As far as the solids are concerned, if your baby is eating a teaspoon or two, then she actually IS eating solids. Many babies don't like to be fed from a spoon. If she self-feeds, even just a bite or two, then she knows how to eat and will likely eat however much she needs. Just to give you a reference to contrast your own situation, I have copied and pasted below my response from an earlier thread about oral aversion and babies not starting solids. You can read the original question along with other responses on an old thread "Oral aversion-is this real?" which is in the Starting Solids section of this forum.

I have experience with this. There is probably no cause for concern as most babies who refuse solids just aren't ready for them yet. However, some children do have hypersitivity in their mouths or delays in oral motor skills that can result in an aversion. (I'm not sure that this is really due to not introducing solids at a particular time though.) My DS was seven months when we first introduced solids, and he was not interested. I assumed he just wasn't ready and would eat them when he was. I also assumed that if he were hungry he would eat, but for him this was not true. He started wanting to nurse constantly and completely stopped gaining weight after one year (he gained no weight at all from 12 months to 21 months). Then he stopped growing taller as well. At 21 months we finally decided intervention was needed and started a program recommended by therapists. When he started eating, he immediately started growing again. (Many babies do continue to thrive on breastmilk alone after one year, but my supply dropped for some reason and was not enough even though we nursed on demand day and night.)

For my DS there were other signs of a problem besides just not being interested in solids. Does your baby put toys or other objects in his mouth? (my DS never did). How does he do with tooth brushing or you putting your fingers in his mouth to look at teeth? (My DS screamed for any of this). On the rare occasion that DS put a bit of cheerio in his mouth or I put some pureed food in his mouth, he appeared to have no idea what to do with it. He made no attempt to chew it, move it around his mouth, swallow, or spit it out. He would just sit with his mouth hanging open and cry until it desolved or we were able to remove it for him.

So, I'd look for these other signs of a problem, but if they aren't present your baby is probably fine and will probably eat when ready. I'd also recommend giving food frequently to play with even if baby isn't interested in eating it. This gives more opportunities to get used to the smell and texture and to experiment with it.

I hope this information is helpful.

i'm glad i found this post. my dd just turned one. she's never been a big fan of solids and is a very light eater. she is also small, just 18 pounds. i figure my dd knows when she is hungry so i'm trying not to obsess over the weight issue.

fyi--my ped told me some babies are grazers and instead of 3 big meals, would do better with five smaller meals. so i've added small snacks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by LEMPENN
    On the advice of my health visitor I've been taking her to be weighted every month to monitor her weight gain until she starts solids. Up until now she's always gainied well.

My worry is this last time I've had her weighted she hasn't put on any weight - just stayed at 20lb 2 which is what she was 4 weeks ago. She's just started crawlng about 2 weeks ago so I was wondering if this might have an effect?
    The fact that she just started crawling will definately impact it!