Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think my 1 yr old is starting to wean!

Unhappy I think my 1 yr old is starting to wean!

My little girl turns one next wednesday! The past one or two weeks I don't feel like she is nursing as much as she use to.... she has gone down to like three or four times during the day (some can last 2 minutes or 20) and then nursing still throughout the night.... but that is dwindling too... (I think its like thirty minutes when she first goes to bed and then 1-2 minute sessions maybe two or three times through the night.

I was really sick earlier this week and the last two days I have been feeling better, but this is the first time that I really feel like my milk is very very low.

I drink about 111 ounces of water a day.. and I eat oatmeal in the morning... i've just noticed my boobs have REALLY shrunk and my little girl has been switching back and forth between her bubbas getting frustrated at times because I don't think she is really getting that much... when she sucks long enough I think its coming.. but I use to be able to feel my milk coming in all the time and have my milk drip at times and that isn't happening...

I know that I have been sick and I've had a really hard time sleeping these past couple of days.. only getting four or five hours of sleep instead of my normal eight or nine...

Any ideas.......
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Default Re: I think my 1 yr old is starting to wean!

Glad you are starting to feel better.

Happy early birthday to your babe.

If you want to keep on nursing then keep offering to your lo and then with more nursing she can rebuild your supply (if it has indeed decreased a little). She won't take more than she needs so if she is not interested, she won't drink too much.

Or, could be that there is nothing going on with your supply but babe is much more efficient at emptying the milk and doesn't need as long to do it.

Your body has also gotten nursing down pat and you will not likely feel engorged like the early days unless babe goes for an especially long time in between nursing sessions and then even then you might not notice too much.

Since you're so close to the one year point, here's a link that might be helpful.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende...ernursing.html

HTH

no advice but lots of hugs

other moms with BTDT experience will be along i'm certain
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csan View Post

Glad you are starting to feel better.

Happy early birthday to your babe.

If you want to keep on nursing then keep offering to your lo and then with more nursing she can rebuild your supply (if it has indeed decreased a little). She won't take more than she needs so if she is not interested, she won't drink too much.

Or, could be that there is nothing going on with your supply but babe is much more efficient at emptying the milk and doesn't need as long to do it.

Your body has also gotten nursing down pat and you will not likely feel engorged like the early days unless babe goes for an especially long time in between nursing sessions and then even then you might not notice too much.

Since you're so close to the one year point, here's a link that might be helpful.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende...ernursing.html

HTH
    Thank you. That page of kellymom makes me feel A TON BETTER!!! I can definately relate to the acrobat nursing sessions!
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

what are her wets like?
    hows she doing on solids?

Sometimes they are getting alot more milk then you think!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    what are her wets like?
    hows she doing on solids?

Sometimes they are getting alot more milk then you think!
    I guess her wets and solids are doing good... she has at least 1 solid poop a day and wet diapers are between 8 - 12 probably usually 9 or 10.

Wanted to add that a flaccid boob is not always an indication of milk quantity.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    Wanted to add that a flaccid boob is not always an indication of milk quantity.
    Flaccid. That's a funny word!

Oh and hey I have BTDT. At 1 I was CONVINCED my LO was weaning. We went through this awful time of molars, learning to walk really well, stomach flu for BOTH of us, and a month long vacation. Basically nursing took a huge tank.

Once everything settled down he got back to his normal nursing schedule. I used a bit of fenugreek to help my supply, and ate a lot of oatmeal cookies. The cool thing is once you're been nursing for a year your milk adjusts to supply and demand. It WILL come back as much as your LO needs.

Nurse on demand, and even nurse before solids at this point that's my recommendation. I also cut back on the sippy cup. I was giving water in a sippy all day long, and I switched and now only offer water at meals. It really did encourage him to nurse more often and for longer.

Really you will get through this. 12 months is rough there are a lot of changes, but I can promise you it gets better. Nursing a toddler is so awesome, I can't even explain it. I LOVE nursing him and want to nurse him as long as I can if it feels this great for both of us.

Hang in there, make some adjustments, and congrats on the 1 year nursing milestone.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09