Default Re: Help me out Ladies;)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    No supplements here

(this is in respnse to youe email.)
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder my ..I'll need you more than ever

Shelly - always glad to hear from you

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Well all you have to do is show up and you hear from me.

Way too lazy for formula

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ucts/R4775.htm

heres a more natural iron suppliment that was recomended to us by a gal in my lll group whos hubby is a ciropractor.
    I worked wonders for my dd!
    Her doctor was shocked that her iron levels came up so quickly!

With that level I would try diet and get re-pricked in 2-3 months and see...

try more read meats, liver and lean beef.
    my dd simply would not take the iron drops she would spit them out every time so we had to find something that worked for her.

Logan was very low iron, but he didn't take any solids with a regular consistency so I used the Poly Vi Sol supplements. His iron went back to normal. Just my experience.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Bennett became slightly anemic due to bloody stools and his pedi told me NOT to do iron supplements because they are hard on the tummy and digestive tract, which in turn would cause more blood which would obviously not fix the problem. My ds had bloody stools though, so his pedi's advice would probably be different for your situation

This is what we did, and his iron was back up within a month. I started mixing a little blackstrap molasses, which is very high in iron, with some apple juice(vit C) and giving it to him with medicine dropper and then wiping his teeth really well We also upped his meat. I would grate zuchinni and put it in ground buffalo meat and make patties for him. We would do the same with spinach and dark meat turkey. I would also boil dark meat bone-in chicken and dice that into small chunks. I had also started on a script enzyme for me that helped reduce his blood in his stool, so I think that was also a factor in getting his iron up, but that does not pertain to your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Quinoa is a grain that is high in iron and protein. Pairing iron foods with high vitamin C can result in optimal absorption. Dairy products do the opposite, they block the iron from being absorbed. Watermelon is high in vitamin C and has a good amount of iron too. Same with kiwi fruit!

Good luck Mama.

I was gonna mention Quinoa too. Personally I am always one to try and fix something naturally before I go to drugs/ suppliments. Why not try some ground beef ? ( If you and your family eat red meat)
    I throw spinach in my lo's eggs for extra iron. Black beans are good too

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

hmmm, shannon....i hadnt thought of buffalo meat. dd is allergic to every meat i have tried so maybe buffalo might be worth a shot...sorry, im not derailing, i just had a moment
    Margo
    12 mos (ap)
    married to my sweet hunny 10/01/04
    mama to my love bunny 10/17/07
    Because of her allergies, organic vegan, no soy, grains, corn, apples, pears, yeasts,flax, celery, tomatoes, garlic, onion, spices, citrus, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, honey ...

I used this website to search for high iron foods. I was really surprised by how many there are. As the PP said, you definitely want to pair with high vitamin C foods whenever possible, as it doubles the absorption. Also though, iron from meat sources (heme iron) is more readily absorbed than iron from plant sources (non-heme iron), but also boosts the absorption of the non-heme iron, so whenever you give things like kidney beans, black beans (beans are a great source - the redder in color, the higher the iron), spinach, watermelon, etc. if you can pair them with some meat, that will give them even more of a bang. With your LO only being 9 mos. you may not be doing a lot of these foods yet, but some of our favorite high iron meals are spaghetti (I puree spinach and cooked ground beef), chili, and chicken (dark meat has more iron than white) with cantelope.

We did iron supplements with DD for approximately 3 mos. and her levels barely got better (and she was consipated and we had to limit her foods to only those high in fiber as a result, eliminating most of the meat from her diet). 2 months of diet alone and she was back to normal levels. But I believe it was due to DD having a milk allergy that was aggravating her intestines. Which, as PP said, iron supplements will make worse, because it'll make them bleed. It's what actually finally pointed me to her problem with milk, as her peds had been telling me she wasn't allergic if she was only getting a diaper rash from it.

Thank you ALL

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Here's another good site for info on iron rich foods:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/Iron.htm

I would try diet first as long as lo is a good eater & let your pedi know this is what you're more comfortable with and see when they should retest him. If it's not enough, you can always add the supplement.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...