Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me out Ladies;)

Default Help me out Ladies;)

My Lo was 9.4 on the iron scale today at her 9 month check up. My Pedi wants me to give her Fer In Sol Drops & I am not over joyed to say the least! Can anyone offer me some insight as to whether this is the right thing to do?!

I always question authority - esp. when my LO is involved

Thanks in advance...

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Default Re: Help me out Ladies;)

Is your LO eating any meat? That is considered a great form of iron. I am always one to follow my DD's pedi's instructions, but I really trust him and respect his opinions. Her iron count was also fine, but he told me some babies don't need any iron supplement and some have to go on multiple suppliments a day. I don't know for sure why babies differ when it comes to iron.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

So far just Chicken & fish. Tons of fruits & veggies (all kinds!), yougurt, lima beans & whole grain cereal.

I am gonna start giving her black & red beans, lentils & spinach very often.
    Any other suggestions would be more than welcomed

Oh & should I continue the supplement like the doctor wanted me to?! Don't wanna get off track from my original question, ya know?!

oh no, i have no idea, but i was prepared to be asking this same question last night if we had gotten a low iron return... we got a 11.5 yesterday at our 9 month, my nurse said they are happy with anything 11 or better....i'll admit i did eat lots of iron rich foods myself prior to the visit, and i also gave DS fresh green beans at one meal a day for nearly a full week prior (no idea if any of that helped) we haven't started DS on meat yet and i always get turned away from blood donations for low iron...

Hugs to you and i hope a more experienced mom or one whose BTDT comes along soon....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quinoa is a grain that is high in iron and protein. Pairing iron foods with high vitamin C can result in optimal absorption. Dairy products do the opposite, they block the iron from being absorbed. Watermelon is high in vitamin C and has a good amount of iron too. Same with kiwi fruit!

Good luck Mama.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Cooper had low iron at his one year check up. We were given an iron supplement, but didnt feel comfortable giving it to him (it was for adults but she gave me instructions for childrens dosage)
    I looked up online all sorts of iron rich foods to give him and like Lyn said, the vitamin C is great for iron absorbtion.
    Do what you feel you need to do as far as the drops, but you can add iron in her diet too, thats the easy part! Good luck!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I have tons to say about this, but don't have time right now! PM me to remind me, and I'll let you know about our experience with low iron and iron supplementation vs. high iron diet!

No supplements here.

(this is in respnse to youe email.)
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Watermelon Everyday all summer. Wheat crackers and Spinach.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Quinoa is a grain that is high in iron and protein. Pairing iron foods with high vitamin C can result in optimal absorption. Dairy products do the opposite, they block the iron from being absorbed. Watermelon is high in vitamin C and has a good amount of iron too. Same with kiwi fruit!

Good luck Mama.
    Thank you so much for putting it in Layman's terms for me - I needed that! Do you think I should eliminate the yougurt from her diet?! That must be a big part of the problem!!!?

Thanks to all you BTDT Mama's too

I do not like the supplement..I wanna do it naturally!!! I just needed to hear from you all - sadly I trust you guys more than my doctor I do take everything with a grain of salt, but my intuition usually mirrors what you Mamas got to say