Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about mouth- white areas?

Default Question about mouth- white areas?

Hi, my LO is 5 months old. A few days ago I noticed white areas in her mouth. It doesn't have the cottage cheese look, so I am hoping it isn't thrush. It is on the inside cheek, just inside the corner of her mouth and some on the inside of her top lip. She has been chewing like crazy on everything, I think she is teething. Could this be tissue irritaion from chewing? I don't have any symptoms of thrush and she doesn't have any other - like rash. Anyone else notice this in your LO?It's so hard to get a really good look in her mouth, she won't really let me. Thanks!
    [/SIGPIC]FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Mommy to Haley 6/20/2000- BF- 1 year
    Ella 2/20/2008- BF- 111 months

Default Re: Question about mouth- white areas?

It definitely could be thrush. Thrush is characteristic by if you try to wipe it off it cannot be removed and may even bleed. I would definitely get it checked out because if you get it in your breasts...it is NO fun.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hey momma

I have never seen this in any of my kids... Here are some pic of thrush... is this what your talking about?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Thanks lilybug and nolies.mama, I just don't know what it is. She is nursing well and seems fine.Forgot to mention, she doesn't have the white tongue. But, I have no problem with getting it checked out.Now though, do we see my primary Dr, my OB, or her pediatrician? I would think the pediatrian would be best for her, then will they treat me to be on the safe side? Why do these thing always happen on a Friday?! Guess I better get to calling. Thanks

It sounds like thrush to me. It doesn't have to be on the tongue. I'd check with your ped, but if s/he says it's thrush you will also want to talk to your doc or OB about treating yourself along with your baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You really should get it checked. If it is, the sooner the better when it comes to treatment. Sometimes, you can have thrush without even knowing it and one day, usually brought on from stress, it can hit like lightning! Better to just check and get treatment!!!
    Wife to Timothy (August 5, 2000), Mother to Kaitlyn Rose (June 11, 2006) and Rebecca Abigail (January 4, 2008)

Well, that's what it is! Took her to Dr. They gave her Nystatin for her mouth and I'm waiting on call from my Dr. to get RX called in. Thanks ladies! Glad I caught it early before either one of us was hurting! Thanks again!