Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged Duct/Mastitis

Question Clogged Duct/Mastitis

HI all. I have been nursing 9mos exclusively. This is our 4th baby to bf. I have never had this with any of my other babies, but I believe I have a clogged duct.I searched archives and went to kellymom.com. I have fever under 101degrees (and according to Kellymom.com, I have a clogged duct if it is under 101-mastitis if over). Fever started last night. My breast is sore and I believe I feel a knot. The thing is that the duct & pain is underneath the breast and inside deep--hard to reach. I am small and not engorged. I have been using warm compresses, nursing frequently, drinking lots of water, and have been in bed all day. I just got over thrush in that breast and want to get it well! : ) also, no milk blisters, nipple doesn't hurt. Just low fever and achy all over. Any more suggestions? Hot showers don't help b/c the place is deep w/in and under. Thank you for any advice you guys can give.
    Shannon

Happy bf, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, mother to 6 mo dd
    Happy homeschooling mommy to ds13, ds10, dd8
    last, but most impt...Happy wife of 17yrs to my wonderful dh!

Default Re: Clogged Duct/Mastitis

What worked for me (I got a couple at around 10 months) was to massage the hard lump toward the nipple frequently. Nurse with baby's chin pointed toward the hard area. Massage toward baby's mouth while nursing. Since you said it is underneath, you would want to try to hold baby upright, so the chin is toward the clogged area. I kept a moist facecloth on it, and I kept microwaving it to heat it up. I would hold it on the area, and then massage down (I know you said the area is low down and deep, so as much as you can).
    I would call your Doctor too, because mastitis can get bad real fast, and you might be able to nip it in the bud with some antibiotics, if that is the case.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Thank you for the massage details. I will try to position her appropriately too. I am trying to beat this at home. I just got over thrush in the same breast. In fact, Monday was my first pain free day! I found on Dr. Sears website a very detailed way to massage. I read it and then I saw your post. I think I have it down now! Any other ideas will be appreciated.
    Shannon

Happy bf, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, mother to 6 mo dd
    Happy homeschooling mommy to ds13, ds10, dd8
    last, but most impt...Happy wife of 17yrs to my wonderful dh!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kathrynk View Post
    What worked for me (I got a couple at around 10 months) was to massage the hard lump toward the nipple frequently. Nurse with baby's chin pointed toward the hard area. Massage toward baby's mouth while nursing. Since you said it is underneath, you would want to try to hold baby upright, so the chin is toward the clogged area. I kept a moist facecloth on it, and I kept microwaving it to heat it up. I would hold it on the area, and then massage down (I know you said the area is low down and deep, so as much as you can).
    I would call your Doctor too, because mastitis can get bad real fast, and you might be able to nip it in the bud with some antibiotics, if that is the case.
    I had 2 clogged ducts last week... first issues in 14 m of breastfeeding.. The thing that helped me the most besides frequent nursings and pumping was while my lo was nursing I would kneed or push/massage the lump with my hand forcefully towards the nipple to break it up. Its a bit painful but seemed to help more than anything else. The whole time your lo is nursing use your hand to just push and kneed that lump toward the nipple and your lo's sucking can help break it up.
    I found the whole chart thing on kellymom to be helpful.. I never had a fever though. Gl .. its painful I know

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

When I get a *bad* clog, I like to fill up a mixing bowl with warm water and salt and soak the affected side until the water goes cold. Then nurse, doing massage while my son nurses. It usually takes a few sessions to work but I've avoided full blown mastitis a couple times with this.

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.