Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nausea and Lightheadedness During Let Down

Default Nausea and Lightheadedness During Let Down

I have been successfully b/fing my first child for 6 weeks. For the past week I have started pumping more routinely in preparation for my return to work. Lately, I experience both nausea and I get waves of lightheadedness from my let down when I pump, and now I am beginning to experience this although to a lesser degree during nursing and whenever I have a leak/let down (the stronger the let down the stronger the nausea and lightheadedness).

Does anyone have any tips on how to relieve these symptoms?

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Nausea and Lightheadedness During Let Down

When I started pumping 4-5x a day, I felt really nauseous as well. I read that eating carbs right before you rpump helps, as does eating several small meals throughout the day to balance your blood sugar. Now I have juice, crackers, a bagel, etc before/during my pumping and it seems to help. It feels alot like the nausea caused by morning sickness and the relief, at least for me, was the same with bland carbs. Good luck!

Default Re: Nausea and Lightheadedness During Let Down

This is more common that many mothers think!

Try to make sure you're well hydrated. Also, try eating some complex carbs (whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies) right before nursing/pumping.

You'll find more info and suggestions in this non-LLL resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nausea-bf.html