Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not getting much when i pump

Default not getting much when i pump

i would like to pump and freeze to have a little stored if i have to go somewhere, and i might have to take one night class, but my breasts never feel real engorged and when they do its time for my LO to eat. i used to exclusively pump, but since he's been completely on the breast i've only pumped once and it was after he ate, and i only got one oz. if i only get this much when i pump how will i have enough to make a full bottle? also should i pump right after he eats? i know a lot of threads about this are already up but i dont feel like i have enough milk to be pumping as well.

Default Re: not getting much when i pump

Being that you're not missing any bfing sessions with your lo, you're not going to be able to pump much after you've fed him. So one ounce is actually really great. Keep in mind you can add your separate pump sessions to the already refrigerated milk Without missing any feedings, It is ideal to pump after the feeding because you wouldn't want to not have enough milk for him to fill up on. You're generally most full after the AM feeding so try pumping then. Also, if you pump extra regularly and until your breasts are emptied...it'll signal your body to make more milk. It takes a lot of time to build up a supply. Also, if you do end up having a night class, you can always pump when you're away and you'll be able to have what he needs for the next time you're out. Hope that helps some.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Default Re: not getting much when i pump

sounds good, thanks!!