Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anything I can do while pregant to ensure a good milk supply?

Smile Anything I can do while pregant to ensure a good milk supply?

I am currently starting my 2nd trimester with my 3rd biological child. With my 2 previous children, I did not seem to have enough breast milk. With my first, after a month and some latch on issues, we switched to formula. With my 2nd child, I was determined to breastfeed longer. He had no trouble latching on but I just never seemed to produce enough milk. He would be constantly nursing and was a very skinny child (which is hard to tell if that was low milk or genetics...he is still very, very skinny). When I pumped, I was lucky to get 1/2 an ounce from both breasts. It seemed like for months my son was either on the breast or I was attempting to get some milk from pumping.

I want to be proactive this time and see if there is anything I can do to help my milk supply before my next child is born. (I was recently told by my sister that she had trouble with milk supply as did our mother). I did take Fenugreek with my 2nd child but it did not seem to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: Anything I can do while pregant to ensure a good milk supply?

I'm glad you're here.

Good for you to seek information while you are still pregnant! Given your experience with your first two babies, I understand why you want to do all you can this time to have a more successful breastfeeding experience.

I am not aware of anything you can do during pregnancy to affect your eventual milk supply. If any other mothers know different, I hope they'll speak up.

As a La Leche League Leader, I recommend that pregnant women attend at least one LLL meeting while pregnant. I think that makes it a little easier to ask for help once your baby arrives.

Reading all you can about the normal course of breastfeeding is also a good idea. Knowing what to expect in the early hours, days and weeks may help you feel more confident.

One other thought...some mothers have a consultation with an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) while pregnant if they have special concerns or had difficulty breastfeeding in the past. Perhaps there is a lactation consultant in your area who you can see?

I wish you a wonderful labor and birth, and look forward to hearing more from you!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Anything I can do while pregant to ensure a good milk supply?

Do not take Fenugreek while you are pregnant. It can be great after you give birth, but can cause premature contractions. Go to www.Motherlove.com they have lots of info on increasing milk naturally. I know they make a supplement designed for increasing milk while pregnant and lots of other formulas to help with increasing milk after your child is born. Check it out and good luck.