Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing on one side & engorgement

Question Nursing on one side & engorgement

Hi - I'm new here and hoping the experts can help.

When did your child start nursing on one side only? My son is almost 8 weeks old and in the last week he's started taking only one side whereas before he'd always take the 2nd when offered. We've been having some latch issues (and I sort of suspect thrush) but I don't know if it's related or if this is just the new way he's feeding or what.

On a related note, I'm now really engorged on the side he doesn't nurse on until we get to the next session and at night it's really painful. Is this going to balance out?! I hesitate to pump because I don't want to stimulate supply and make it worse.

Thank you!

Default Re: Nursing on one side & engorgement

Since this change to taking one side at a feeding is recent, can you tell us if his output is still the same? If his output is still the same, then he's still getting plenty. If his output has gone down, then he's not getting enough to eat. Thrush can be painful, and make babies not want to nurse as often.

At around 6wks of age, many babies have a growth spurt, where they increase mother's supply. Then, later, they don't need as much milk anymore, and there is a mismatch between supply and demand. By allowing him to finish the first breast first, you'll know he is getting what he needs. If you're too uncomfortable, you can pump just enough to comfort, but pumping to empty the breast tells your body that it needs to make more milk, so won't lower your supply any.

Your supply should eventually balance out again, it may just take a few days.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

For some reason, I've only ever nursed on one side at each feeding session. My daughter keeps sucking until she's completely full, so it never made sense to me to unlatch her just to switch sides. I use the next side for the next session. My breasts worked it out and the unused breast is full but not painful before the next session. This information doesn't help you with the pain, but I thought it might help you to know that it's okay to use one instead of two breasts during a nursing session. As for the pain, can you pump or hand express just enough to relieve the discomfort until your breasts figure out the new plan? (If this is the wrong advice, please correct me! For me, engorgement = ouch!)
    Last edited by @llli*rorysmom; August 7th, 2008 at 06:16 PM.

Shannon, thanks. His output is the same, so I think he's getting enough. I wondered if he was just "graduating" to this phase of feeding.

rorysmom - I don't actually unlatch him. I just wait until he's done (comes off himself) and then offer the other side. In the beginning he'd always take it, but not always now. It seems to be fine, and the engorgement is definitely resolving itself. Yep, engorgement=ouch!

I'm glad the painful engorgement is going away! Hmm. I wonder why Rory and I never moved to the second breast. After many other issues, I think I must have pumped myself into an oversupply so there was plenty for her to get full on one side. I don't know...but I'm curious about it now!