Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few new mom questions

Default A few new mom questions

I have a 4 week old and been having an okay time at breasfeeding. I've mastitis once but since it's cleared up, we've been doing well: lots of good diapers and good weight gain ( ithink? 7.1lbs at birth and now over 9lbs).
    Last night, my hub gave her 1st bottle of breast milk, I went out for groceries. She drank it with a bit of coaxing. Again tonight. I only want to have the occasional bottle for a night out or one a day for my husband to enjoy the closeness.

I have been pumping enough for a bottle, finishing the breast after she's done nursing on it. Is this a good way of going about it?

- I don't want to mess too much with the supply and demand we have established. Are there other suggestions out there for me? Am I supposed to pump when she's having the bottle?

- poops are mostly seedy orange but sometimes tinged with green once a day. Is this normal?

- Is it ok to use the milk I pump to relieve oald at the beginning of some nursing sessions?

I will stop there for now. I have been learning so much from all of you. I appreciate all of your help immensely. Looking foward to sage advice!

Default Re: A few new mom questions

It sounds like you've got a great nursing relationship started!

I have been pumping enough for a bottle, finishing the breast after she's done nursing on it. Is this a good way of going about it?
    that's a great way of doing it! It's different for every mama, but we all do what works for us. As your baby begins to sleep longer stretches at night you may find that an early morning pumping session after your baby's first feeding of the day will produce enough milk for a bottle Also, some mama's like to pump late at night (after their lo has gone to sleep). Whether you pump a little throughout the day or all at one time, your baby is still getting that great breastmilk!

- I don't want to mess too much with the supply and demand we have established. Are there other suggestions out there for me? Am I supposed to pump when she's having the bottle?
    I usually pump when my lo has a bottle (or if I'm out when my hubby gives him a bottle, I'll pump when I get back) just to signal my body that we haven't stopped nursing. However sometimes that's not possible (or simply not convenient - if you're out to see a movie for the first time in 5 months with a girlfriend, the last thing you want to do half way through is whip out the old pump ). If you're only missing one nursing session, it's not not necessary to pump, but if it's longer than one you may want to pump a little.

- poops are mostly seedy orange but sometimes tinged with green once a day. Is this normal?
    infant poops are weird and wonderful aren't they? I've learned that there are a rainbow of acceptable poop colours

Here are some links to info about poop. Poop 101 and Dr. Jay Cordon - the colour of the day

- Is it ok to use the milk I pump to relieve oald at the beginning of some nursing sessions?
    Yes Any milk that you pump at any time of the day is absolutely perfect to give to your baby. You can mix all the milk collected in a day together for one bottle (or more than one depending on how much you get ). Are you familiar with milk storage? Here is a great link about the storage of breastmilk - Kellymom - Milk Storage

Good luck mama!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Jenn gave you great advice.

Just be conservative about pumping when a bottle is being given, as missing that stimulation can mess with your supply. If you can pump when your baby is getting a bottle, you probably should.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for all of your great advice! I'm in a constant state of learning and adjustment and figuring out ways to not worry myself endlessly. Like I obsessed over the length of time she was nursing and worried about foremilk/hindmilk thing. Went to a new mom's group and an LC helped me realize that she's a quick nurser and gets what she needs in a short amount of time, like 10minutes! I admit, it still worries me a little but I guess since she's gaining weight, she's doing okay. I keep hearing, "10 minutes until the hindmilk kicks in" but she's done by then! Ahh! I'm also doing one side at a time since she only nurses for 10....then I guess she's finding a way to get to the hindmilk? Sorry...I've become neurotic since becoming a mom a month ago! I just want to make sure I keep things going smoothly, although I've noticed things are in a constant state of flux at the moment.
    Thanks for your tips, they're much appreciated!

It sounds like you have a great nurser there!

some babies are very efficient. My lo takes one breast per feeding, and he empties it in about 6 minutes. I don't ever remember him staying on the breast longer than maybe 10 or 15 minutes (and that was in the very beginning). As long as your daughters diapers are okay (not having green and frothy poops which would indicate a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance) I wouldn't worry about it. You're doing a great job mama!!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet