Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think it's time

Default Re: I Think it's time

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    In the end it is totally your decision but this is my story.

Our baby was a preemie and had a very hard time b/f. I pumped and pumped until he got his latch down, which was about 2 months. I had mastitis 6 times before he was 4 months old and two of the most painful cases of thrush. I wanted to give up so many times.

My husband was very supportive and told me that he would be there for me no matter what I decided. I cried and cried when I thought about quitting but I was having such a hard time physically. My dr. told me not to be shameful if I quit, that I was being the best mom still and to not give myself a hard time.

It was/is also hard with having to pump/bf all the time. My son would not b/f in public (go figure!) or anywhere that he was not familiar. So I had to be at home, in his favorite chair, every three hours or so.

What I finally decided was to keep at it. This is one gift that I can give to my son right now that will benefit him for the rest of his life... but one that I can only give him now, while he is young.

Sometimes it is hard, like right now he is biting AND going through a nursing strike so I am forced to just pump all day long. I groan sometimes when I look at those pump parts and I think "gosh, I can't even remember what regular nipples feel like!" but in the end, I am happy knowing that I kept going.

I basically told my friends and family that they will see me in a couple years or so, because I made the choice to have a baby, and this is one of the things that comes along with it. Those who are understanding are understanding, those who aren't I don't really talk to much anymore. I would rather hang out with my baby anyways!

Good luck in your decision.
    Hillary, you are one inspirational mama.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

I too have to say right around 4 months I thought that I was gonna quit. I gave myself a goal of two more weeks. I made it thru the two weeks and I felt the same, I felt like it was to hard and I couldnt do it anymore. I gave myself another two weeks cause I knew it was the best gift I could give her. And after the month was over it truly got better. Only you know what you should do, but we are here to help no matter what you choose to do.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sebsmommy View Post
    Hillary, you are one inspirational mama.
    Awwww....thanks!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

give your self goals thats what got me throught the first 3-4 months and now its just part of life, or part of our daoly routine. i also with #1 gave up after laching problems adn dd was totlly formula fed at 3 weeks, it is something i regret but i know that at that time it was the only thing i knew to do (was not at all familar with LLL) and i try not to beat myself up about it! i to long for the day when i can just leave Ds and go out, but for now i do what i can, hes on solids now so i can get out some but, it does get better and its only for such a short period of time. good luck!
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

how are things today?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

I saw this response from another post...I'm not sure how to quote them....

Would you consider doing both some breastfeeding and some formula? The formula would give you the flexibility and "space" you say you want while continuing to breastfeed a couple times a day would allow your LO to get the immune factors that are unique to breastmilk?

My Response...(sorry, still getting the hang of this)
    I supplement w/ formula. I had a lot of problems in the beginning(infection, thrush, depression) I was at my wit's end and having major Mom guilt about using formula, but in the end, I feel sane. I still nurse at each feeding, but this allows me to get things accomplished. In a perfect world, I would exclusively bf... everyone's situation is unique...

Whatever your decision, IT's OK!!!! Don't beat yourself up. BF is an enormous undertaking, every feeding is an accomplishment and a GIFT!

New Mommy to Michael 4-5-08
    and and new to the world of

Molly, I just bawled. I hope Jacob never asks me that

To the OP: You CAN do it mama!! We are all here to support you

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*FluffyN View Post
    First, to you. It sounds like you've been through a lot.

I gave up bfing my DD after some early problems and I do still regret it. I pumped and bottlefed her (with some formula supplementation) for a year, but I always wonder if maybe I had tried just one more time that would have been the time it clicked for us.

I'm afraid I don't have much info on the specific problems you are facing with supply and whatnot, but you've made it 4 months! Do you really want to quit now after all the hard work you've done to get yourself this far? I know the road looks endlessly long right now, but before you know it your LO will be starting solids, crawling, talking, walking, and going longer between nursings. You will have more time for yourself soon. Once you're through it, the first year feels like it flew by - even if it feels impossible going through it.

Good luck with your decision. Its not an easy one.

I agree

They are this young for such a short period of time.

When you say he freaks out - everytime? What about when he's sleeping/through the night? What if you nurse in different positions?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    This it totally your decision and I'm not trying to guilt you at all, but this post made my tear up this morning...

I weaned my now 5 1/2 yr old DS at 6 months and at the time it seemed really sensible: I was going back to school, didn't want to have to worry about pumping, he was getting to be a distracted nurser.... Last night I was laying with him on his bed, singing his bedtime song, and DD2 was nursing in between us. He asked me if he nursed when he was a baby and how long and I told him that I nursed him until he was 6 months old and he had bottles after that. He said, "Why, Mommy? Did I want to stop nursing?" and I almost lost it right there. I had to say, "No, honey, but I thought it was the right thing to do at the time."

I agree with a lot of what the pps have said. I hope you make the choice that is right for you and your baby.

ETA: I can't believe my baby boy is 5 1/2. Your LO's babyhood will fly by. I also wanted to reiterate what a pp said about partial weaning. That would totally have been an option for me but I didn't realize it. Definitely something to consider!
    That totally made me .
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

This is your personal decision. But here is my story:

I breastfed my baby for 8 months only. I wanted to stop because at that time I too felt exhausted, wanted time for myself, thought that with formula he would start sleeping thru the night and my DH was not much into bfeeding either. So i quitted. To this day I feel guilty that i quitted so early. He still does not sleep thru the night at 18 months and if i wanted time for myself i could always pump and leave my milk with someone. Plus formula feeding is more hassle, you have to sterilize bottles, boil water, wash bottles. wake up and do the feeding during the night and it is expensive and most of all it is soo inferior compared to mummy's milk. So I would say THINK TWICE because once you quit it will be very hard to get your milk back.
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu