Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Think it's time

Default Re: I Think it's time

Please don't give up!! My LO also fights nursing (evidence in the many threads I stared about our nursing struggles) she is almost 5 mos and I am so happy we are still nursing. I plan to for as long as she will allow me

My best advice is to nurse him when he is sleepy. Wait until he is almost alseep and latch him on. It works like a dream for us
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*polarbear View Post
    Second, EVERY time he eats, he FREAKS out. This has been happening pretty much since I started nursing him. It's literally a fight to feed him and I don't think I can deal with it any longer....this is supposed to be an enjoyable time.
    We've ruled out OALD (actually, we've deal with it), no ear infections, no reflux, nothing.
    One of my twins had a rough start to breastfeeding due to a NICU stay and she would freak out at the breast when I tried to nurse her (not to mention she wouldn't really latch on for even a short period of time until 6 weeks of age).

In retrospect, I realize that trying to get her to latch was really stressful for me and her and I think that it caused a bad association with breastfeeding for her, especially when she knew a bottle was instant gratification. Also, she was often hungry by the time I would put her to the breast and seemed upset that she didn't get milk right away.

I always offered the breast first and then a supplement when I was having supply issues, but someone at a LLL meeting suggested offering a bottle first to take the edge off of the hunger and then offering the breast when they baby is not really hungry and is more relaxed. I think that suggestion might have helped me, so I throw it out there now.

I agree with the suggestion to at least try and partially breastfeed. The benefits of breastmilk are great, even when you are partially breastfeeding. Breastfeeding does get a lot easier over time and you might even find that you can stop supplements at some point when your baby is taking good amounts of solids.

There were so many times when I thought I couldn't do it anymore and it became so much easier and in the long run I think it really made mothering my babies less stressful for me. Now my daughters are 16 months and still nurse a few times a day and are kind of losing interest in nursing and it looks like they will have a very easy time weaning.
    and mom to Haneul and Iseul, our fraternal twin girls born 3-29-07

Who says that you cannot wean off the domperidone? I did. Just wean off 10 mg per week. Take it slowly. I lost 12 pounds when I did, too. I felt so much better.

Sorry I haven't replied in such a long time....

Here's an update:

Thanks to ALL OF YOU and your support, I decided to keep on trying. I did give DS a few bottles of formula, but then, of course, felt guilty and SOOO not ready to quit...

You're right. It does get easier with time. DS is now sleeping a lot longer at night, his feedings are shorter, he's more content, and I'm happier.

I plan to wean him when HE'S ready...I think that's best for both of us

In regards to the domperidone...I tried to slowly wean myself off it, but my supply seemed to drop dramatically...even with the slow wean. I'm now taking 20mg/day..which is a lot less than what I'm supposed to take, but it's just the right amount.

I want to thank you mamas sssssssssoooooooo much for your support...I really do. If you all lived close to me, I'd give you all the biggest hugs!! I love ya!

I'm glad that things are going beter for you..

I was soo happy to read this mama!! thanks for coming back and updating for everyone!!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post

I was soo happy to read this mama!! thanks for coming back and updating for everyone!!!
    Wonderful news!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Glad things are looking better! Keep up the good work, mama!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I'm happy for you and your baby that everything is getting better.

Okay...another update!

After all the going back and forth about weaning and not weaning...I decided that I would let DS wean on his own terms.....

He's done it....he weaned himself this past week and a half. My guess is it's because my milk has changed and supply has dropped dramatically (I'm pregnant). I offered him B.milk in a bottle, but he just doesn't want it, soooooooo....now we're on formula.

It's kinda sad, because even though earlier, I wanted to wean him, I NOW don't want to stop nursing him. I still offer it to him at every feeding, but he just won't have anything to do with it.

I guess he's ready for another brother or sister and wants to let them have first dibs