Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Delayed letdowns and less milk overall at 10 mo?

Default Delayed letdowns and less milk overall at 10 mo?

At 10.5 months, my son is still very happily nursing before bedtime and sometimes during the night and first thing (5am; he then goes back to sleep for 2 hours, usually) in the morning. He will also nurse before his naps if I'm home with him. I work either 4 or 5 days per week away from home, so pump milk for him those days. He takes ebm in bottles from his nanny. I've always had a REALLY (and I mean REALLY) strong MER and also, for the first 6 or so months of baby's my supply was very high. At one point I think I had 200 bags of milk frozen away! Now, though....things are really shifting. Sometimes it seems that a letdown takes 20 minutes to happen - especially at the 1am or 5am feeding and I'm not getting as much from my pumping times at work. Once upon a time, that was a 3 times per day 6 to 8 oz affair. Now it's 2 times and with luck 3.5 to 4 oz per time. The frozen supply is decreasing....and I'm starting to worry about what's going on and if I'll have enough milk for baby thru the 1-year mark (my minimum goal; I'd like to go longer).
    Some other possibly useful info: Baby is really doing well with solid foods; that has been increasing for the last 2-3 months. I've just had my first 'real' (in addition to one 5 weeks prior that lasted 4 hours only) period two weeks ago)and am very clearly ovulating regularly now. I've had issues with blebs and milk stasis and plugged ducts secondary to blebs so am a little reluctant to try herbal supplements to increase milk production that way. But....is there anything that I can or should be doing to help insure that baby still gets what he needs from me?
    Is all this 'typical'? Has anyone else gone through a kind of lull as their cycle starts to kick back up? The delayed letdowns really have me a little rattled since that is just not the way it has ever been!

thanks so much for any input.
    J'smom...aka Linda

Default Re: Delayed letdowns and less milk overall at 10 mo?

Linda,
    Often times as our nurslings get older we stop feeling our milk let down. When you pump, do you feel and see your milk let down? When baby is nursing, do you see him taking longer pulls on the breast? If so then your milk is letting down even if you can't feel it. Keep in mind that many things can affect your let down because it's a conditioned reflex. If you are stressed or upset or tired then your let down reflex can be inhibited. Alcohol can also affect the let down reflex. So if your let down truly is inhibited, you might just try to determine what may be affecting it.

Keeping in mind that your baby's solid food intake has increased so that probably means that his breast milk intake has decreased, even if slightly. Breast milk supply depends on breast milk removal, no matter what. So if demand has decreased then so will supply. For most women all that is needed to increase supply is to simply increase the demand. Medications or herbs aren't usually necessary. Also, be sure that you are always adequately hydrated (but not overly so - drink to thirst).

Regarding the suspected low supply during ovulation and your period -- I personally found that simply taking a calcium/magnesium supplement each day helped my supply during those times. This is not an approved LLL source but I'll give it to you anyway because I think women don't get enough calcium & it's important that we do: Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement

Hopefully other's will be able to offer some more information. Just hang in there - you're doing a great job! Keep it up

Default Re: Delayed letdowns and less milk overall at 10 mo?

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement, Carol. Both are appreciated!

As for letdowns... I still really do feel them when they happen. You know how we all get told that letdowns feel like 'pins and needles'? Mine have always felt more like sticks and rocks, so I feel them!! Seriously, though; yes; when I pump, I do feel and see my letdowns - though they are taking longer to happen than previously (used to be instant to w/in 30 seconds; now 2-4 minutes sometimes more) and I can't 'force' a second letdown with extended pumping. Similarly, I have not had good luck with pumping more frequently to get extra milk to happen. I can go 8-10 -- the max was 20 before I gave up -- minutes and no letdown. When J is suckling, eventually, if a letdown happens, I still feel it. This morning at 5am it did take about 20 minutes and I had moved him to breast #2 before it did. It was only at that point that his suckles got longer and deeper. Tension....oh, yeah; there are some major job-related stresses in my life these days and I need to not let my brain go there when I'm awake with baby during the night!! Alcohol....not involved. My last drink was in the first week of July, 2004 -- the day before J was conceived!
    Thanks for the input.....I'll keep up with what we're doing!
    J'smom