Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chocolate?

Default chocolate?

Does anyone know why you're supposed to wait until 1yr to introduce chocolate? For the record, I'm not planning to give lo chocolate for quite a while, but I already have people asking me why I won't give my 10mo old chocolate and I can't seem to find the reason for it. I assume it will upset her stomach, especially since there is a bit of caffeine in it. Does anyone know for sure what the reasons are? I'd like to be more informed when I tell people why she can't have it and it's not just because mommy's mean.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: chocolate?

Umm - because babies don't need all that sugar?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Umm - because babies don't need all that sugar?
    Awww, what's the fun in that? J/K. Delay it for as long as possible - what they don't know won't hurt them. Once they get a taste, it's over! JMHO.

For us - it's about teaching good eating habits and good nutrition. At age 2 he hasn't had any candy or chocolate. He gets plenty of sweet treats from fruit. The cookies we have in the house are relatively healthy. On special occasions he'll get a cupcake. IMO he just doesn't need to have things like that as part of his diet yet.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I did a quick search and came up with allergies. So same reasons as dairy, nuts, soy, etc.

THe only thing I would worry about is that if a child NEVER eats chocolate one day he/she will discover it and possibly binge on sweets eventually when they get older... KWIM? Not to say that babies or even 2 year olds she frequent the candy jar, just something to think about....
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssa.mommy View Post
    THe only thing I would worry about is that if a child NEVER eats chocolate one day he/she will discover it and possibly binge on sweets eventually when they get older... KWIM? Not to say that babies or even 2 year olds she frequent the candy jar, just something to think about....
    not as likely as people think... but I understand the concept in theory I mean realistically most kids in this society get sweets at some point in time. WHat they've learned about them at home is generally what determines their potential for become a binge sweet eater. Most people from rural countries don't come over here and buy out candy stores... they generally don't have a taste for it... refined sugar is an aquired taste.

I figured it was an allergy issue, too. But then again I never actually read any recs that said to wait - I just figured it was, um - for lack of a better term (at this hour) common sense.

To the OP- All you really need to say when people ask you why she can't have it (and how are these poeple??? ) is "because she doesn't need it - but thanks!" and move along. Thats all the more informed you really 'need' to be... but I understand the reason for your starting the thread
    Last edited by @llli*number3; August 7th, 2008 at 02:29 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    not as likely as people think... but I understand the concept in theory I mean realistically most kids in this society get sweets at some point in time. WHat they've learned about them at home is generally what determines their potential for become a binge sweet eater. Most people from rural countries don't come over here and buy out candy stores... they generally don't have a taste for it... refined sugar is an aquired taste.
    Makes sense! Childhood obesity is just a scary thing!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

to alyssamommy,
    I was one of those kids who was very limited in my sweets until I moved out of my parents home. I was allowed candy twice a year, at Easter and Christmas, and then only 2 small pieces a day. If we even had cookies in the house, again, I was only allowed a small taste. When I left home I ate every sweet thing I could afford, cookies candy bars, donuts, sometimes even skipping meals to eat only candy, and I was over 18 at the time. When I started having major trouble in my first marriage I turned to those forbidden treats to deal with the stress and gained 50 pounds. I have just now lost most of it, 10 years later. So for some people, YES! denying them sweets makes them obsessed with them. Because of this I have always allowed my kids a taste of sweets proportional to their size and talked to them about how things like this are unhealthy in large quantities as they got older. Of course, chocolate does not always have a tons of sugar, and dark chocolate is full of anti-oxidents.
    As to the allergy thing, sounds possible, if your family is prone to that.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    refined sugar is an acquired taste, and can become an addiction (just ask me, I'm a member of the sugar anonymous group here)

My personal feelings about the whole sugar/health issue, is that kids CAN be educated about healthy eating choices and WHY we make those choices and avoid things like excess refined sugars while still learning to satisfy their sweet tooths. After all, we all are born with a sweet tooth, or bm wouldn't be sweet. I know that I personally can quench a sweet tooth in a second by choosing a piece of fruit over candy or soda. I don't always WANT the fruit, because my addiction makes me crave refined sugars, but my body is more perfectly satisfied by the fruit instead and I find I don't even want anything else that's sweet.

Becky made a good point, that sometimes kids who are strictly refused sweets do gorge themselves on it later, but I think that comes more from the kids being controlled and not allowed the sweets vs. being taught to make their own healthy choices. My oldest is only 5 years old, but I've taught him what refined sugar does to the body and I've taught him what healthy good foods do to the body and he's smart enough to make the choice to choose water, milk, or 100% juice over soda 90% of the time. THere are occasions where I'll allow him to make the choice and he chooses soda, but IMO, that's ok on a very limited basis, because he makes the healthy choice 90% of the time. The point though, is he's making the choice, not me keeping the candy and soda away from him by force.