Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk consistency/color?

Default milk consistency/color?

not sure if this is the proper place to post this question, but here goes...

i EP for my LO and recently i've noticed that my milk seems a bit thinner and it's definitely lighter than it was.
    nora will be 2 months old on sunday.
    i was getting milk that looked like regular cow's milk, but now it's looking a little more translucent. i had noticed it, but then my mom was feeding her and said, "why does your milk look different?" so, i just wanted to make sure that this is normal... could it be because of my diet? i recently stopped eating ice cream. haha - i'm an ice cream addict and had a bowl everyday, but then when nora started getting really gassy, i decided maybe i had too much dairy in my diet. so, i stopped (or, cut down) on the ice cream.

i dunno.
    just curious.

Mommy to Nora Jean
    Born 6 lbs, 13 oz. on 06/13/08
    Loves her cloth diapers
    All the time

300 oz. donated so far!

Default Re: milk consistency/color?

I found that when my breasts were more engorged my milk would be a slightly different color (lighter) How long are you going btw pumps? Are your breasts engorged/really full when you do pump? If so, you're probably just getting a lot of fore-milk vs the hind-milk. You'll probably notice while you're pumping that the milk that comes out first is the "discolored" milk and when you get to the end of draining your breast the milk going through the flanges looks the "normal" color. The color of your milk isn't really a problem. Some babies poopies are a different color (more green toned) if they're getting more fore-milk so that may be a way you can tell. I'm not a pro but if you give a little more info on how often you pump and when your milk seems to be "discolored" I'll try to elaborate.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Default Re: milk consistency/color?

Ok, I knew I could find more info. This info is on this sight and I'm not computer savy so I don't know how to just post a link. If you do a search for "milk color" you'll find this info too

Visual Characteristics of Human Milk
    Those who have never seen human milk may be surprised if they expect it to look like cow's milk out of a carton. Unlike homogenized milk, human milk will separate when left to stand, with the fat rising to the top. This does not mean it has spoiled. Simply shaking the container gently will restore the milk to a homogeneous consistency.

Samples of human milk expressed at different times may not look the same either, as various factors can influence fat content and even color. The amount of fat can fluctuate from day to day and within a nursing or pumping session as well. Milk expressed at the beginning of a feeding may look "thinner" than milk expressed later, when the milk ejection reflex sends milk higher in fat toward the nipple.

The color of human milk can vary. Colostrum is generally yellow to yellow- orange. The transition from colostrum to mature milk can take about two weeks to complete. During that time, the color changes gradually to a bluish white color. However, the color of mature milk may change because of mother's diet or medications. Food dyes used in carbonated sodas, fruit drinks, and gelatin desserts have been associated with milk that is pink or pinkish orange. Greenish milk has been linked to consuming green- colored sports beverages, seaweed, or large amounts of green vegetables. One woman consuming a certain prescription medication reported black milk. Frozen milk may look yellowish.

Pinkish milk may indicate blood in the milk. This could occur with or without cracked nipples. If cracked nipples are the cause of blood in the milk, a mother can contact a La Leche League Leader for suggestions on healing sore nipples. Blood in milk is not harmful to babies, and breastfeeding can continue. If blood in the milk does not cease by two weeks postpartum, the mother may wish to consult with her health care provider.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11