Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ability to roll over making nursing difficult!!

Unhappy ability to roll over making nursing difficult!!

DD is 7.5 months old. Since she was about 4 months old, I've preferred to nurse her in the side lying position on the bed (helps with her distractability). Lately, DD has mastered rolling over & sitting up. It makes nursing impossible. I will put her on the breast lying on her side, next thing I know, she's rolled onto her tummy and then she will sit up in bed and cry and dive for the breast sitting up (which isn't good as she has 7 teeth now and can really chomp down!). I've tried nursing her in the cross cradle position but she still twists and tries to roll over and then clamps down on the nip with her teeth (ouch!!). What am I supposed to do? At night, DD gets especially frustrated. I think she wants to nurse and go to sleep but for some reason feels compelled to roll over and then sit up and starts crying. She will repeatedly do this 10, 15, 20 times in a row. Has anyone been through this and have any suggestions for me?
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

Default Re: ability to roll over making nursing difficult!!

Could you try holding her more firmly? I find that if I hold DD2's legs and hips in place and close to me while side-lying, she isn't so squirmy.
    Also if I make eye contact and talk to her, she looks at my face instead of squirming around. My DD is a couple of months younger, though.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

When I hold her hips to keep her from rolling, she usually gets frustrated and starts crying. I do have a pillow on her side, it doesn't deter her. Half the time, she will roll onto her belly by rolling towards me anyway. First she gets up on her knees, her butt goes in the air, and next thing I know she's rolled onto her tummy and then is sitting up. She manages it no matter how closely I have her snuggled to me. I'm at my wit's end just about!
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

Good news is this is a phase! When they learn something new they do it ALL THE TIME!
    Maybe time to try something new? Will she nurse in a rocker if you have one? Something that didn't work before may work for you now, keep trying!

I could have written this post myself! My dd does the same thing. A good thing I can tell you, is after the newness of the sitting up and crawling around wore off, she did it a lot less and would wind down pretty quickly and go to sleep. However, she still does the dive at the breast (she has 4 teeth) and the trying to nurse tummy down with her butt in the air. I can only imagine how funny it would be to another observer. I just let her wear herself down a little if she feels the need to roll around, I just don't let her go far. I stay in the same lying position for her to nurse. If she can make it work with her butt in the air, so be it. On the breast diving, she'll now kneel beside me or lay over me and go to town nursing that way. Last night she fell asleep over my chest like that. She used to hate being on her tummy, now it seems to be comfortable. Probably not much help, but just letting you know you're not alone, be patient, it will probably subside some. Other than that, try and be flexible with the nursing and you'll have some entertaining moments anyway.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Yes, many of us have had to contend with little nursing acrobats!

So whatever position works, whether or not it's a "traditional" position, go with the flow. Maybe you could lay down on your back or almost and let her nurse in the "butt up" position. (like the name?) Another idea: Maybe if you sit up and she kind of kneels along side of you (almost like a football hold for an older infant) that would work.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

First of all I agree....once DD learned how to sit, crawl, stand, cruise, etc. she wants to do it ALL the time...actually, she hasn't really slowed down.

Second, 7 teeth!?!?! DD is 9 1/2 mo. and has zero, count them, zero teeth!

Anywho - I don't really have any advice except I found the side-lying position the best for my little rolly-polly. However, once I went back to work she prefered the bottle and the bottle can follow her - she especially likes to stand and drink with her head back.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

My little guy is a big roller these days, too. Occasionally, the only thing that helps is offering him a position he has to concentrate on, like sitting up in my lap with his legs around my waist. Usually he is so busy trying to nurse in an unfamiliar position that he can't squirm. Then a few minutes in, *sometimes* I can shift us to a more snuggly hold. Sometimes not. I figure it will pass eventually. What helps me is not to get too invested in the outcome of any given nursing session. He won't starve, my boobs won't actually explode, we will at some point soon be as cozy and sleepy as I'd like. You know?

My LO (7.5 mos as well) does this too! She rolls around or will try to pull herself up withthe boob in her mouth...OW! She also sometimes "chews" which is another thing she is mastering. I think they get so obsessed with their milestones that they just can't turn it off. The only thing that seems to help is changing rooms, sitting up to feed her or distracting her (wearing bracelets and keeping my hand near her face so she can play with them).
    new mom to yael justine, born 12/20/07 4lbs 7oz

cloth diapers all the way!

DD is the same age and I can't keep her still!!! sometimes she finally settles down in such strange positions... i have to nurse her in a quiet dark room or it is just crazy!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in