Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poop ?

Default poop ?

my dd pooped last night, and it was just a ping pong ball size and firm, not really hard, just not like her normal playdough ones. It didn't seem to hurt when it came out, but thinking maybe she was a bit constipated? I have given her banana frequently lately, so thinking that hasn't helped. She also has a few cheerios every day- do those constipate? I was thinking I'd just give her a little bit of prunes to make sure things loosened up a bit- any other advice? Are there any other foods to watch out for? I don't want her to have a painful poop experience if I can avoid it...and she's 10mos old and starting to eat more solids.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: poop ?

I talked with the nurse at my pedi office yesterday about DD hard poop from this weekend. She told me that most Pedi recommend pear juice to help, but just like an ounce or so. I gave DD 1 once of apple juice on Monday night and by Tuesday at noon her poops were soft again. HTH.
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

Ive never given her juice, does juice work better than pureed fruit/baby food?
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Part of it may just be the additional solids in her diet. The more they eat like us, the more they poop like us. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't add anything in particular to her diet. Maybe just less banana. That can constipate some kids. Cheerios should be fine.

BRAT foods constipate. Bananas, apples, (I know R means something but I can't think of it)....DD eats a lot of banana but she eats a lot of other fruits as well which I think balances it out. I would not give juice (too much sugar)....just more BM and as you were going to do - pear or prune puree or chunks.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Thanks all! I gave her a little prune puree yesterday and plenty of nursing- back to normal BTW, I think the R in BRAT is rice, not sure about the T...
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

BRAT : bananas, rice, apples, toast...

I kept wondering what the T was for the longest time

glad things are back to normal now!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I found that the recommended first food of rice cereal was a no go (How you learn with the first babe..lol) Then my PED said go with banana...lol...that did not go well, I was like knock knock, poop, where are ya!

The first month or so of solids I would grind down a couple of prunes and mix it in with his morning oatmeal (very little, like a teaspoon) and this helped in case I ran into a food that would make things harder such as the good ol' standby banana or apple.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Lots of babies have issues with constipation when solids are first introduced. I dunno how old your lo is but I mix a little flax seed oil into applesauce and that keeps my lo regular. Its loaded with omega's and good fats too

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

She's 10 mos old... All good suggestions , I was thinking that maybe I should give her a little pears or prunes everyday just in case. But not so much she has a tummy ache or the runs... Are there other foods that are good for keeping them going? This whole solids thing takes some thought and work, don't know why people want to rush into it.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...