Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: turning ihead,and pulling nipple

Default turning ihead,and pulling nipple

my lo (3mo)has started to turn her head,while keeping my nipple in her mouth.(still latched on)..its begning to cause nippple soreness..any advice?

Default Re: turning ihead,and pulling nipple

It could be a positioning thing, where you both have gotten lazy at positioning, now that you're past the newborn stage. Pay attention to correct positioning.

Or, she's reaching an age where she notices things around her. People, sounds, the blank wall behind you, all these things were out of her vision just a few weeks ago, and have become clearer. So she's turning to look at them. Eliminating distractions as much as possible can help.

If you sense her turning too much, be ready with your pinky finger, so you can pop it in the corner of her mouth and break the latch, preventing damage to you.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

How are her wet diapers and poopies? At around 3 months, my DD started doing that exact behavior. She also became a lot more "wiggly" and seemed frustrated at the breast. At first it was just during one or two feedings a day, but then it started being at every feeding. I called a lactation consultant and she said it was a sign of her not being satisfied with my flow. She suggested I take fenugreek seed pills and I also started drinking a lot more water. It really helped and DD seemed a lot calmer and content while BFing. I don't want to scare you or worry you, but for me, that's what the problem was

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

A lot of time tugging on nipple from side-to-side means she needs to burp. Try to burp her.

Tugging on the nipple backwards a lot of the times means LO needs to poop or has gas.

oh great advice..she definatly does look around alot,and is very intrested in whats around her...as far as her poopies,she goes several times one day,and then may skip a day..shes peeing normal too..i have been more lazy with positioning her,so we will be better about that...