Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumped Milk Separating

Default Pumped Milk Separating

Hey there. I have a question that I have been wondering about.

I have been pumping to build a "Return to Work Supply". I have always noticed the separation of the thicker milk (I am assuming the hindmilk) and the watery milk (I am assuming the foremilk). Sometimes some of the milk that I have pumped has a lot of foremilk and only a thin layer of hindmilk. Am I not pumping long enough? Does anyone know what percentage of the pumped milk should be foremilk/hindmilk? Anyone else on their experiences?

Just some questions that I figured someone out there would know the answers to?

Default Re: Pumped Milk Separating

There is no certain percentage the milk should be. You'll notice that there will be normal variations throught the coming weeks.

That being said, it's not neccessary, but if you're curious, it wouldn't hurt to try pumping for longer or including some breast massage at the end to see if you notice an increase in that creamy layer.

There's an older thread around here somewhere that asked what everybody's ratio of "thin" to "thick" was after separation. The range was enormous -- I'm guessing there's no such thing as "normal" when it comes to this.

Yup; there is a huge variation in compostion and it will change from day to day - and very much so depending on the weather! If it's way hot where you are, your milk will come in with a higher percentage of water to keep baby hydrated, for example!

-linda

I also found that what I ate any given day had an effect on the thickness of the fat layer. If I didn't have time for lunch, it would be thinner and if I had a big lunch or an afternoon snack, it would be thicker.