Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Bottle nipple type?

Question Best Bottle nipple type?

I am exclusively breastfeeding my 34 week son who is now 5 weeks old and gaining weight great.
    The other night i went out and my husband cared for him for one feed, giving him my pumped milk. We have a medela cup and a syringe, but frankly those would take forever for him as he takes nearly 4 ounces, but he did have some "nipple confusion" that evening later with a chewing motion...the nipple is so easy for him...too easy really. We were using a orthodontic nipple (?Mead)
    Does anyone have any advice for those situations where I am away so as to minimize confusion?

Default Re: Best Bottle (gasp) nipple type?

I've had the best luck with Avent and Dr. Brown's, but it seems to be a personal preference for each child. I would try a few and see which your baby likes.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My dd refused a bottle untill really last week, she will only take the Avent nipples (after i bought a ton of diffrent ones). We also tried a bottle called the breast bottle it really helped get my DH through the nights that she refuse the other bottles. Good Luck!

we have good luck with avent nipples. I only use the slow flow (I think they are like size 0 or 1) even though DD is 10 mos. I read that it helps make sure they prefer the breast because they milk does not come out too fast.

I would suggest trying another nipple. Orthodontic nipples are not the best for breastfed babies. A nipple made by a formula company is REALLY not going to be best for a breastfed baby.

A good choice for many babies is a slow flow silicone nipple that is soft and pliable and has a wide base.

Assure that baby is latched on well (with his lips flanged, like at the breast). Also, try to feed the bottle using a method that is more like feeding at the breast. Here is a good resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

we found the Playtex NaturalLatch nipple the best. I commented that when there were two on the draining board together they looked like a mini pair of breasts so couldn't be that far off!

Quote Originally Posted by chipmonkey View Post
    we found the Playtex NaturalLatch nipple the best. I commented that when there were two on the draining board together they looked like a mini pair of breasts so couldn't be that far off!
    This is what we use with the Playtax Nurser bottles, we've never had a problem with confusion. We use the slow flow latex since DS loathes anything silicone.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: Best Bottle nipple type?

My LC advised that I should use Dr.Browns premie nipples. The flow is a lot slower and she actually has to work for it. She does not get lazy We have always used them and have never had a problem switching b/w breast and bottle ... she only gets a bottle of EBM at night.
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

i am a little confused...i agree with the idea that the baby should use a slow flow nipple, have to work for it, and get better at sucking. BUT mine would take 40 minutes to dring 1 ounce.i was told that it is too tiring for a preemie to have to spend all that energy to get nutrition. so i went to a faster flow nipple which allows her to east more quickly but then not get so good at breastfeeding.

Have you ever thought of supplementing with a cup?