Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Info on relactation please

Default Info on relactation please

Hi All,

I have a 12 week old baby whom I breastfed for the first few days and then gave up when I hit numerous problems.
    I continued to feed once in the morning and once at night up until about 3 weeks ago. I now wish to try an build my supply back up to feed exclusively again. It has diminished to about 1/2 an oz a day.
    Can anyone please advise what relactating is like?
    Is it like nursing for the 1st time all over again? i.e. frequent feedings every 1-2 hours, long feedings to start with, sore nipples, sleepless night etc?
    I just want to be prepared for what is going to happen.

Thankyou

Default Re: Info on relactation please

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3kiddies View Post
    Hi All,
    Is it like nursing for the 1st time all over again? i.e. frequent feedings every 1-2 hours, long feedings to start with, sore nipples, sleepless night etc?
    I just want to be prepared for what is going to happen.
    Well, minus the sore nipples after the first couple of weeks, it can be totally normal to nurse baby every 2 hours, sometimes for a long time, sometimes nursing several times almost back to back in the evening, and still have sleepless nights for a very long time.

My own boys were both every 2 hour nursers (start to start) during the day until past 7-8 mos of age. My oldest slept for about 6 hour stretches without needing to nurse, but with my youngest, I was lucky to get a couple of 4 hour stretches between nursing in the night until he was 7-8 mos old or older.

Some breastfed babies the age of yours do go 2-3 hours or longer between sessions, but fme, I haven't found that to be the norm. I'd guess that a 2-3 hour break between nursing sessions(start to start) during the day would be more average before a baby starts solids.

It is hard work. I'm not going to lie to you. But it is SO WORTH IT! Putting your baby to the breast as often as possible before giving formula and pumping as much as you can, as well as skin to skin contact will all help you build up your supply.

A new idea is to start with the bottle and then finish the feeding at the breast (completely the opposite of what many of us learned!). You might find it interesting to read about: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml

I will second the previous poster--I believe you will find it well worth the effort to relactate. Best of luck to you!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thankyou both for your replies. I will definately give the bottle then breast method a try.
    If you have any words of wisdom or tips to offer, they would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks again.