Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Resources re. BF and back to work?

Default Resources re. BF and back to work?

Hi there,

Does anyone know any good links to resources about going back to work and continuing to BF / manage home life?
    My daughter Abi will be almost 7m when I go back. The time is going too quick and although I enjoy my job, nothing compares to looking after her. I just wish I could have longer as I love every minute with her. I know I'm lucky compared to some of you other mum's who have had to go back much sooner - I really feel for you
    She's fully BF and I'd like to continue but I'm worried about keeping up my supply as my job is a busy one. I'm planning to introduce solids at 6m so hopefully that will mean she doesn't rely on BM as much? I should be able to express at work but I'm not sure how much she'll need during the day.
    My other worry is that if she's still waking so frequently during the night when I'm back at work, I just don't know how I'll cope. If she's having solids by then, is it likely that she'll be sleeping better?

to all you mum's. This is a wonderful site.

Default Re: Resources re. BF and back to work?

Here's some sites that I found helpful:
    http://www.workandpump.com/
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T025100.asp
    http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...-breastfeeding
    http://www.kellymom.com/

I went back to work when DD was 12 weeks and pumped for the next 8 mos. DD started solids at 5.5mos but she didn't decrease her BM intake as a result. Up until she was 10mos I was sending 3 4oz bottles to daycare and pumping 3x's a day. I've been on vacation for the past 2 months so not sure what she'd be taking now.

I think you shouldn't have to worry too much about supply since your DD will be 7mos when you go back. I still think the general rule applies though...pump as often as she would nurse if you can.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Hi there: to you mamma. It's not easy going back to work. I went back to work when my LO was 6 months old. I was also exclusively breast feeding and pumped at work. I won't lie to you, it was hard to manage pumping during the day and my DS waking at night, but somehow you seem to manage and you get good nights and bad nights. My son turns two this month (we are still breastfeeding) and I pump once at work now. I would try to pump at the same time you feed him to begin with, until you work out how much milk you get at each session and see how much he drinks when you are away from him and go from there.

Good luck mamma. Know that it can be done and you will get through it. Well done for taking up the challenge, so many mommies would give up and go forumula

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

I too have been pumping and working since DD was 12 weeks (now almost 10 mo.). I can be done, no matter how hard and exhausting it is at times. As pp said, some how we get through it. The links pp gave are great. Really you just have to see how it goes with your situation. You will know within a couple days of returning to work how much milk you need, how your pumping will go, etc.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Thank you all. Your encouragement and comments are a big help to me. The links are also really helpful. Had a good cry last night but feeling more positive today.

This site kept me sane in my first days back at work and the week before. Just knowing that other moms were in my shoes and had the same concerns gave me comfort. I am confident you will be able to maintain a wonderful nursing relationship when you return to work
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

I agree with PP- this site has saved me (though I've had one really bad day, missing LO- i had to avoid it or i would have cried or leaked all over my desk)

She is 10 weeks today, and i've been working for 2 weeks now. My schedule is a marathon right now- but I wouldn't have it any other way. DH is my rock at home and other mommies who "wish they had kept up with BF longer" are my rock at work.
    Married my sweetheart 5/13/06
    and babygail makes three 5/29/08
    7 lb 2 oz born at 36 1/7 weeks,
    2 mos: 11 lb 12 oz
    returned to work 7/29/08