Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hi! Newbie here with a question

Default Hi! Newbie here with a question

My lo is now 4.5 months and he is taking in more than I am supplying. I have tried everything that I have read about increasing supply except the prescriptions meds. Anyway I am only about a few oz a day from where I need to be and I was wondering if renting a hospital grade pump would help me get out more milk. Right now I have a Medela PIS Advanced and I get usually 1oz per breast and that is if I pump every hour or if I wait and pump every 4 hours (while at work) I might get 1.5-2oz per breast, I have never had a good supply going but I keep trying. I am only able to pump while at work about every 4 hours and then at home I nurse and might pump every 2 and I nurse at night about 3 times and then first thing in the morning. I was reading on here that renting the hospital grade might help. Just wanted some input on this. Thanks

Default Re: Hi! Newbie here with a question

I have a hospital grade lactina select pump and love it. I do have better production then with the PIS. I just broke down and bought a new pump (they are spendy) but you can find used ones on ebay.

The rental fees here would have been like 60/month, and you can find them on ebay for anywhere between 350/400 so in the end if you are going to pump for a bit it is worth it.

Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I had much better output with a hospital grade pump - Medela Symphony - than with the PIS. You said that you'd tried everything except Rx...does that mean that you've tried fenugreek? I had success with that. I also took a couple rounds of Reglan and, along with pumping every three hours for 20 minutes was able to increase to about 40 oz per day.

HIT!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I have also had good luck with Fenugreek. You can get it at GNC. (They have specials on a certain day of the month but I can't remember when.) Also, make sure you are drinking enough fluids. I try to keep a bottle of water with me while nursing. It seems to be the one time I am sitting still long enough to focus on getting my water intake in. In addition, there is a tea called "Mother's Milk". You can also get that at GNC. I'm no expert. I am just someone who also struggles with with my milk supply. These are things that have been recommended to me. Although my supply is not "great" it is better. Who knows if it's because of these solutions. The way I look at it is none of these things will hurt and they just might help so why not give them a try.

Good luck!

When I first started pumping, I wasn't getting very much either. The one thing that has helped the most though is massaging my breasts while I'm pumping. This way I can make sure as much milk is coming out as possible (since the pump isn't as effective as getting the milk out as the baby is!).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elis-mom View Post
    When I first started pumping, I wasn't getting very much either. The one thing that has helped the most though is massaging my breasts while I'm pumping. This way I can make sure as much milk is coming out as possible (since the pump isn't as effective as getting the milk out as the baby is!).
    Yes!! For me, breast compression has made a huge difference in the amount I'm able to pump. Here's an interesting article by Dr. Jack Newman about breast compression: http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/compres2.htm
    Teresa
    Mama to DS Liam Morrissey born 6/1/08