Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to wearn from pump..?

Default How to wearn from pump..?

Do I just gradually decrease the amount I pump during each session? For example, I currently pump 15 min. 6X a day. When I go back to school I will increase the time in between pumping to 4 1/2 hours and still pump for 15 min. so that I can maintain my supply as DD will only be 10 mo. upon my return. When I want to eliminate a session, do I just decrease from 15 min to 10 min. for a few days (week?) and then to 5 min. until the session is eliminated? I am looking for experience with pump weaning.

Side note: DD does not nurse at all.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Default Re: How to wearn from pump..?

I'm headed back to school next week but, sadly, my class schedule does not allow me to pump with enough regularity to keep up my supply. So, I've had to start weaning off the pump hoping to be off of it by the time school starts next Thursday.

I sarted by cutting back on my pumping time from 20 minutes to 15 and then 10. It really wasn't a loss in milk production since I was pumping dry for the last seven minutes anyway (had been pumping to increase low milk so I was just in the 20 minute habit). After a week of that, I started increasing the time between pumpings from three hours to four hours. Another week later I went to five hours and tried to only pump four ounces per session. When that proved too rapid for comfort, I just pumped until the strong squirting stopped and then quit that session.

It's now my third week now of weaning, and I am pumping four times a day for about six minutes or so. I'm still getting four ounces per session but my overall daily production has dropped from 40 ounces to under 18. I guess you can call that progress albeit a tearful one at that.

Are you still pumping at night? That was the first session I worked on dropping to signal my body that the baby was "older" and not needing as much milk at night.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Whoa! - 40 oz. that is a lot! I think I get around 30 a day.
    My last pumping is 9 o'clock at night and then I pump at 6 in the morning.
    I do have a freezer stash that I have been donating so I have that just in case my supply drops too much. I'm just really nervous about running out too soon.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.

My dd just turned one yesterday I've been pumping twice a day since I returned to work when dd was 2 months. I've been trying to cut out my sessions for the last three weeks. I'm down to one but I don't know how soon I'll be able to drop it. For the session that I'm finished with I pumped a little less time but I also spaced each session out for a half hour longer. Meaning, I would always pump at 9:30 but then I changed to 10 for one day and pumped for 10 minutes (the usual amount of time I pump) and the next day I pumped at 10:30 and so on (for the same amount of time). My last pumping session is at 1. I got it down to pumping once at 2:30 but then I took a vacation and my supply is too much to wait until 2:30. For the last session, I will pump for less time and space out a half hour each day. I want to have enough milk for a feeding when I return home at 4:30. I'm hoping to train my body to have a good amount of milk for that feeding cause it's OUR favorite Re-connecting feeding Good luck. I hope this helps a little.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

I didn't decrease the amount of time I pumped at each session, but I slowly pushed back the times of my pumping and spaced them out a little more until there was not time in the work day for another session. Does that make sense? I can't remember what schedule I followed exactly, but spacing them out more worked better for me.

I think either way would work as long as you make allowances for days or times when you feel extra full- go ahead and pump to releive engorgement so you avoid plugged ducts, etc.

Good luck!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for our experiences ladies!

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.