Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mesh feeders?

Default mesh feeders?

what kinds of stuff do you put in those mesh feeders? I was thinking about giving my DS one to see how it goes.

Default Re: mesh feeders?

i tried using one in the begining with bannana and avacado, one try each, then i gave up and just gave him the actual food cut up into small pieces, now i only use the feeder for frozen BM 'momcicles'
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I heard bananna stains...

We used it for combining banana and avocado (he liked it because it was easier to pick up), and things like really ripe canteloupe. Banana is hard to get out!

I put all kinds of things in the mesh feeder. Banana stains and is really hard to get out, especially if you let it sit for any length of time, but dd loves it. I put all kinds of fresh fruit in it, but I also freeze fruit pieces and she loved that (particularly when she is teething). I make most of her food and freeze it in ice cube trays. The cubes are just about the perfect size for the mesh feeder and this works out really well. Juicy fruits go over really well, like lately watermelon.
    I introduced solids around 5 months and the mesh feeder at the same time. Right now it is great bc she is in a phase where she wants to feed herself, but her pincer grasp is not perfect. This way I know she is getting more, at least more than the amount that actually gets in her mouth when I let her feed herself small bits of food.
    Josie- SAHM to Amelia born 12/8/07 - Norah 10/10/09 - Baby Girl #3 EDD 9/1/11

I use lemon juice and salt to get the banana stains out then wash the meshes with regular dish washing soap.

LO would rather get her hands directly on her food, so we mostly use the feeder for momsicles now. Anything they can gum up can be used in the feeder, like pastas, soft cooked rice, cooked carrots. I also gave her chicken in it. She couldn't get the chicken out but could taste it.

I used frozen banana when dd first started solids- helped with the teething at the same time Our bottle brush cleans them pretty well, didn't worry about stains since their dark blue mesh. Now, i use crushed ice in it at night for her "icicle" before bed to help with her teeth, since she prefers to eat from a spoon or with her hands. Also have heard of using frozen breastmilk, or other fruits.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

About doing banana, and it is very hard to get out! But DD loves it so I don't mind a little extra clean up. I put frozen banana chunks in there and just today tried a frozen apple slice. She didn't really "eat" the apple but gnawed on it for a while and sucked the juice out... But with the banana she will pretty much get the whole thing clean.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

When I started my LO on the mesh feeder, he loved it! I mostly put bananas in it, but I found that when I went to feed him with a spoon again, he wanted nothing to do with it! I dont know if anyone else this problem, but he only wanted to eat out of the mesh thing. (maybe I started too early?) I had to stop using it and it took a few weeks for him to get good with the spoon again. I haven't introduced it to him again yet, I'm a little nervous to. I'm sure at this point, he'll be fine since he has been on solids for a few months now.
    Megan

New mommy to Anthony born 12/11/07

my 8 month old dd absolutely loves her!! she gets excited as soon as she see it. never thought to put banana it, tho. dd loves mango, apple, peaches, blueberries, and grapes. she just got her 1st 2 teeth less than a month, so her 'chewy' as we call it has been a lifesaver. when she was in a lot of pain, frozen blueberries and grapes were her fav. i would run them under a bit of warm water so they would start to soften. it hasn't been too bad to clean, because as soon as she is done with it, i alsways make sure i rinse it in hot water as soon as she was done with it, and then wash it with the rest of the dishes.
    Last edited by @llli*jlvonhatten; August 19th, 2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: wanted to set reply options

Emma July 1st, 1995 10lbs 7oz

Liam October 1st,1996 10lbs 1oz

Hanna December 15th, 2007 9lbs 8oz (2 weeks early!)
    1 month: 12lbs 9oz
    2 months: 14lbs 9oz
    4 months: 16lbs