Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exasperated

Default exasperated

Hi ladies

I just need some good vibes and to hear from those of you with similar situations. My son is 1 year old and the solids adventure with him has been quite rocky. We started him out at 6 months trying to do baby led solids. That went nowhere fast and I was not good at standing up to comments like "why aren't you giving him baby food" or "why aren't you giving him cereal" so we tried conventional baby food. That also went nowhere. He would spit out anything we put in his mouth. This went on for a few months. We then tried cereal at maybe 8 months. He would sometimes eat small amounts of it, and sometimes he would spit it out. Obviously I hated that because it was my precious pumped milk we were dumping down the drain when he would not eat the cereal. Finally at maybe 10 months he would sometimes eat the baby food or cereal we offered him. He would still refuse any type of finger food or solid. We have been giving him "morning Os" (organic cheerios from Whole Foods) which basically are there to entertain his hands while we attempt to feed him. Even now at 1 year if anything with any sort of texture or solidness to it gets in his mouth he will do everything including vomit to get it out. The few times he has put one of those morning Os in his mouth they have been spit or vomited out. At this point the only thing he will actually eat other than milk is stage 2 jarred food. Even with that, some days he will totally refuse to eat anything other than milk. Today so far I have attempted on 2 different occasions to get him to eat some food. The first time he totally refused, and the second time he ate about 2 ounces.
    I know that he is not going to starve, and I know that every baby takes his own journey, and i know that he is ok. But when I see other 1 year old babies eating finger foods, or when people ask "doesn't he eat cheerios?" or "don't you give him any food" I get exasperated. I begin to feel like I am doing something wrong even though I know that is not the case. I guess I just need to hear from you mamas who have BTDT in this area. I love my son so much and I am so proud that I have been able to breastfeed him for one year already and I absolutely plan to continue to breastfeed him for as long as he desires it. But I have a hard time dealing with the attitudes of other people.

Default Re: exasperated

He just doesn't sound ready. I don't think it's all that uncommon to not want to eat yet. I bet he'll get it soon. I don't think I would keep trying to feed him w/ a spoon. Put stuff in front of him and if he eat's it great, if not then oh well. Does he ever show an interest in what you have?

My son was doing the exact same thing yours is. He started eating a little around 10 months. Now at 13 months he'll try most anything but still doesn't eat a lot.

Wink Re: exasperated

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jewelsf View Post

We then tried cereal at maybe 8 months. He would sometimes eat small amounts of it, and sometimes he would spit it out. Obviously I hated that because it was my precious pumped milk we were dumping down the drain when he would not eat the cereal.
    I have 3 children and my older 2 were mainly FF babies but my LO is exclusively BM. I'm not sure when to start juice with a BM baby but I would say use apple juice to make the cereal instead of your milk so if the baby doesn't eat it you're not wasting you BM. It'll also make the cereal taste a little better so he might just eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*my3angels View Post
    I have 3 children and my older 2 were mainly FF babies but my LO is exclusively BM. I'm not sure when to start juice with a BM baby but I would say use apple juice to make the cereal instead of your milk so if the baby doesn't eat it you're not wasting you BM. It'll also make the cereal taste a little better so he might just eat it.
    we have never given our son juice to drink at this point because we don't feel that it offers any benefit and we want him to drink milk or water. we do generally mix some fruit puree with the cereal when we offer it, which isn't terribly frequently anymore.

I should add that his eating habits for solids are very erratic. we had a week recently where he would eagerly eat like 2 jars of food per day. Then he will have a week where he will completely refuse any food. it is just weird.

He does show interest in our food but just to touch, not to eat. DH and I work opposite schedules so we rarely sit down to eat as a family. Meals are often quick what you can grab cause as you know it is hard to prepare and then sit and eat a meal when you are alone with a busy toddler.

Have you thought of going back to the baby led solids approach? Just putting stuff in front of him and letting him play? I bet some will end up in his mouth eventually.

As for other peoples comments - What situations are you in where they are asking about his eating habits? Is it out of the blue or are they watching you try to feed him? I wouldn't offer any information up. And if people ask just say he's not a big eater right now.

My nephew was formula fed for the most part and he was never a big eater, even now at 4.

Try not to make an issue of food. Relax and have fun. You want him to develop a positive relationship with food! I know it is hard to listen to negative comments from people, but listen to your insticts!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jewelsf View Post
    I should add that his eating habits for solids are very erratic. we had a week recently where he would eagerly eat like 2 jars of food per day. Then he will have a week where he will completely refuse any food. it is just weird
    Also, I think it's very common for toddlers to have erratic eating habits. Even at 1. And as they get older they go through phases where they will eat just one food.

I love this quote from dr sears:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030800.asp

We now realize that our job is simply to buy the right food, prepare it nutritiously (steamed rather than boiled, baked rather than fried), and serve it creatively. We leave the rest up to the kids. How much they eat, when they eat, and if they eat is mostly their responsibility; we've learned to take neither the credit nor the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjgj.28 View Post
    Have you thought of going back to the baby led solids approach? Just putting stuff in front of him and letting him play? I bet some will end up in his mouth eventually.

As for other peoples comments - What situations are you in where they are asking about his eating habits? Is it out of the blue or are they watching you try to feed him? I wouldn't offer any information up. And if people ask just say he's not a big eater right now.

My nephew was formula fed for the most part and he was never a big eater, even now at 4.

Try not to make an issue of food. Relax and have fun. You want him to develop a positive relationship with food! I know it is hard to listen to negative comments from people, but listen to your insticts!
    We did try BLS for the first few months but I found it quite difficult and stressful for me. Because DH and I both work more than full time and I don't have a whole lot of time to spend shopping for and preparing food, it was a whole extra effort to offer DS appropriate finger foods. Then when he was just throwing them on the floor that made it even worse. Now i would say we do a combo of BLS and "baby food". when we are having something appropriate we give some to him on his tray, and he always has those organic cheerios on his tray as well. We eat a lot of spicy and acidic foods, so I'm a bit afraid to give him too much of that stuff... maybe I just might as well try?

I hear comments about him eating from people frequently - relatives, friends, strangers. like, the whole cake thing at first birthday has come up multiple times. People think we're bonkers for not giving him cake. I also hate it when I'm out eating and some stranger is making comments about how my baby wants my food and I'm mean for not giving it to him. I can't tell you how many times I have been asked aren't we giving him this or that. It just comes up randomly.

how does he eat at day care?
    maybe he's getting all the food he needs there?

he does not go to day care. We work opposite schedules so that we can care for him along with a little help from family.