Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new mommy and worried

Default new mommy and worried

Hi - I'm a new mommy to a one week old girl. I think i am doing well with feeding her - she looks to eat about every two hours or so - though sometimes she seems to want to eat every hour on the hour. When she feeds she latches immediately and sucks like the dickens for any where on average from 8-15 minutes. She will usually end the feeding with the drunken sailor look that the LC in the hospital told me about and seems satisfied afterward. and my breasts go from firm and full to soft during the course of a feeding. Where i worry is in the poop department. She is having plenty of wet diapers but went all day saturday without having a bm and is on the same track today (had 2 large bm's on sunday). She's passing gass like a champ. Am i worrying needlessly or is she not getting enough?

Default Re: new mommy and worried

I would put in a call to her doc just in case. It may be nothing, but they should have pretty regular bm's at this age. Is she having a good amount of wet diapers?
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

How did it go today? Also wondering about her amount of wet diapers

There was just another mom on this board with a similar question - I'll post that link for you.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

it sounds like you've got quite the nurser there!

Normally, babies have 1-5 bm's a day until about 6 weeks but during the first few days things are a bit different. When did your milk come in?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Tuesday brought us one poopy diaper and Wednesday brought us 2. So far today we have had 2 of good size. : She is having plenty of wet diapers - 6-8 a day easily. She spent the morning crying and fussy until she "dropped the bomb" (as my husband says ) I'm not feeling as worried as i was now that she's somewhat making regular contributions. Thanks for the input, everyone!!