Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have "Low-Fat" Breastmilk?

Unhappy Do I have "Low-Fat" Breastmilk?

I am so frustrated! I have a 7 month old who weighs 14 lbs 13 oz. He didn't gain much between 2 months and 4 months but he has been slowly gaining since. He has always breastfed and never had formula. He has been eating rice cereal since 4 months and solids since 6 months.

Since his four month checkup his doctor has been urging me to add butter or oil to his food. I refuse to do so. Some visits they will tell me to keep doing what I am doing, other visits they will say add butter. I am so frustrated. He is developing properly and doing everything he should at his age.

At his last visit the doctor said that I must have "low-fat" breastmilk. What? Is there such a thing??

He is starting on avacado this week and I was just reading about all the health benefits of avacado including the high-fat content. Why would his doctor not suggest trying this first over butter or oil?

I am sick of going to the doctor each month and hearing the "you need to add butter" spill.

Any advice???
    Last edited by @llli*grnolv; August 4th, 2008 at 07:03 PM.

Default Re: Do I have "Low-Fat" Breastmilk?

Except in cases of extreme malnutrition, there is no such thing as low-fat breastmilk. Perhaps your child is just one of the smaller babies on the growth chart? After all, those charts show a range of normal, and there must be some babies somewhere on the chart at the smaller end of normal.

Avocado is considered a great baby food, it's packed full of nutrients and good fats, and it easy to feed to baby.

These links will have good information for you to think about: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html http://www.llli.org/FAQ/increase.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

It is hard when you have a baby on the low-end of the scale. Are you and your husband small? Sometimes that makes a difference. For us, that was a factor plus the fact that my son is so active. He was rolling and crawling early for his age.

Avocado is a great first food! But keep in mind, it still might not make him a chubby baby. We are all different sizes. Its hard when people think chubby baby= healthy baby, but its just not true. If you are watching to make sure he is wetting enough, then you can be confident he is getting enough milk.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I think your son is probably just small. My youngest is that way and my husband and are not not short people. She just weighed in at less than 16 pounds at 11 months. She has always run in the 15-25% for height and less than 5% for weight. She walks, says a couple words and her Dr is always pleased with her growth and development. She eats what the family eats. Tonight she ate half a toasted cheese sandwich and a piece of watermelon, later she ate about a quarter cup of vanilla pudding with nilla wafers sprinkled on top. Not exactly low fat food(we were at VBS and they served dinner before hand) Adding calories may not make your son gain weight or grow more. If this has always been his growth pattern, he is probably right where hye should be.
    AS to how this effects his future, my oldest always ran in the 90% for height and the 15% for weight as a baby. She even looked really thin. Now that she is done growing, she is 5 foot 2 inches and weighs 130 pounds. Being a fat or skinny baby is not a big predictor of future health or weight.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

Along with the wisdom from the other posters, have you considered finding a different doctor for your baby? Your situation reminded me of this story: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb98p8.html

Some healthy babies gain weight *very* slowly. Some mothers find it helpful to plot a graph of the baby's weight because that makes it easy to see a consistent, albeit slow, gain.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

your son sounds like hes just petite. as long as hes developing and reaching milestones within normal range i wouldnt be concerned. i had a pediatrician for my daughter as a baby who first told me if she refused solids to leave her be. next appt he tells me she should be eating solids. im like first you told me if she refused and would gag to leave her alone and now i get a lecture she should be eating solids. next appt i was at was for one of my other kids different dr that day when i asked about solids and the picky eater. he told me she was about at the age when most babys start to eat finger foods and that was fine to give her and let her feed herself. we switched to that pediatrician then. emily never ate baby food she just wouldnt. she is now 11 yrs old and 5ft tall and 100 lbs. she used to be tiny and just small for her age. her dr always said she was gaining weight developing normal and reaching milestones with in normal range and wasnt concerned. it was just her she went from being a picky eater as a toddler to now there isnt much she wont eat. some kids just start out smaller but eventually catch up to there peers. my daughter used to be the tiny one and now shes actually bigger then some of the girls her age in her class. sounds to me that you only want whats best for your son. i would look for a new pediatrician trust your instincts i wouldnt give my kids butter or oil either.

Smile Re: Do I have "Low-Fat" Breastmilk?

Thank you all for your input. You all are saying the same things my husband and I have been saying for the past 3 months. I'm so glad to have some support and hear some similar stories. It just encourages me to keep my stand with the doctor.

Your son sounds like he is just petite like my DS. He weighed just 14# 9oz at his 6mos check-up, and has been in the 8th percentile since he was 2mos old. He is very active and reaching most milestones ahead of schedule. My mom says he is just too active to put on much weight . DH is 5'6" and I'm 5'3". DS's doctor is even shorter and smaller than I am. She is not concerned about his weight at all. Maybe you should just find your son a petite pediatrician.

I have a small baby too who is 8m and only weighs 14lbs, so dont worry. avocado is really great, i think one medium one has like 700 cal. so its really good for them. I dont think baby cereal has much calories or nutrients that baby needs. I started her first food as avocado, now we mix it and make banancados (bananas and avocados) Try it im sure your Lo will love it.

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

My DD1 was 14 lbs at 7 months also.(She was 6 lbs 3 oz at birth) She was one of those babies that nursed 24/7. She is 7 1/2 years now and still a beanpole. She only weighs 42 lbs. She was EBF also. You want to know the funniest part, the reason I remember this is at that checkup at 7 months and her weight was the 10th perc, her height was the 50th perc and her head was in the 90th perc!!! Talk about a funny looking baby Genetics definitely play a part. I wouldn't worry as long as diapers are ok. My DD3 who is 4 mo right now is 15 lbs--she must take after my side of the family.