Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Peds Checkup

Default Peds Checkup

Okay, I know this isn't a challenge, but I just have to let everybody know. My LO had his "2 week" weigh-in today at the pediatrician (although, he's really 3 weeks and 2 days). I knew he had gained some weight, but I was so totally surprised by how much he has gained.

7/12 Birth weight: 6lbs 10oz
    7/14 D/C weight: 6lbs 5oz
    7/16 Peds visit: 6lbs 2oz

So obviously I was beginning to become worried that my milk wasn't coming in and I wasn't satisfying him (although I know it's normal for them to lose up to 10% of their birth weight). I went through periods of total emotional break-down and fits of crying because I couldn't make him stop crying and I felt like my boobs were dry and that I was a terrible mother. I came here and scoured the site for reassurance and my husband has been there for me completely. I just kept telling myself to keep nursing and do what the baby wants (it's amazing how much a baby can tell you if you just pay attention).

8/4 Weight Check: 8lbs 11oz

!!!!!

I guess I don't have to worry about my milk supply anymore!

Default Re: Peds Checkup

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Way to go, mama!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Way to go!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Awesome!! Great job mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

So I take it I shouldn't be overly concerned about the weight loss of my son?

Birth weight: 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    5-day check-up: 7 lbs. 2 oz.
    8-day check-up: 7 lbs. 1 oz.

My ped. suggests pumping 2 - 3 times a day and supplementing breast feeding with breast milk in the bottle. Won't this create nipple confusion?

Also should I be emptying my breast at each feeding and how would I know?

My husband and I are very concerned our son is not getting enough from the breast for healthy weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shelwin View Post
    So I take it I shouldn't be overly concerned about the weight loss of my son?

Birth weight: 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    5-day check-up: 7 lbs. 2 oz.
    8-day check-up: 7 lbs. 1 oz.

My ped. suggests pumping 2 - 3 times a day and supplementing breast feeding with breast milk in the bottle. Won't this create nipple confusion?

Also should I be emptying my breast at each feeding and how would I know?

My husband and I are very concerned our son is not getting enough from the breast for healthy weight gain.
    What was your son's weight on check out? Usually that's the low weight that you go from as birth weight is almost always elevated. Also babies are given 2 weeks to regain birth weight.
    That said, how many times are you guys nursing a day? Are you limiting time at the breast? How are his wet and poopy diapers?
    Those things are a good indication of how things are going!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

My son's weight at checkout was 7lbs. 8oz. I am pretty much feeding on demand at least 8 times a day. His BMs and urine is regular, so I am not worried there. I guess my concern comes from when I think he is finished on the breast during a feeding, I attempt to give him a bottle of pumped breast milk, as recommended by my Ped., and he easily takes another 1 oz. from that. I guess I'd much rather do that then being told to supplement with formula. Any thoughts?

Babies will often suck down a bottle while they aren't even hungry. This is a pretty common problem and why babies can be so easily overfed when using a bottle.
    Because they want to suck, and on a bottle you always get milk, the swallow in turn causes them to suck. SO you get the idea, a few minutes later they've chugged a bottle.
    Check your nipples your using also, sometimes even though they say newborn or slow flow they really aren't. If you hold the bottle upside down it should drip...... drip...... drip not dripdripdrip. That also makes them work for it a little more, so it's not as easy to suck down the bottle.

That's a really good sign that is output is really good.
    Was he always weighted on the same scale? In the same state of dress? Sometimes a dr's scale can differ from the hospitals.
    Do you have a Lactation Consultant that you can talk to? They are a great source of info and can give you a second opinion on the supplementing.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader