Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pullinfg off Breast - Help!

Unhappy Pulling off Breast - Help!

For the past week, my daughter who is now 10 weeks old has been pulling off the breast about 20 seconds after I try and feed her. I then try again and the same thing happens. After quite a few attempts of trying she begins to get quite upset and eventually she will start screaming, kicking her legs and arching her back. I thought it could be related to my letdown so I have tried to feed her lying down, leaning backwards or sitting her upright but she still pulls off and starts screaming after several tries. I must be feeding her enough as she has adequate wet nappies. However feeding is becoming an unpleasant experience for the both of us, therefore can anyone offer any help and advice?
    Last edited by @llli*kiwimum; August 4th, 2008 at 02:38 AM.

Default Re: Pullinfg off Breast - Help!

Is this every time she nurses or just sometimes?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: Pulling off Breast - Help!

Yes, everytime I feed her during the day she pulls off and starts screaming, unless she is sleepy when she seems to feed ok. During the night feeds she feeds fine.

do you have a forceful letdown? I had issues with os/oald and forceful letdown. I found that unlatching him gently when I felt the first letdown and spraying the fast flowing milk into a burp pad and then re-latching him really helped. Also, you may want to try laying on your back and placing your dd face down on top of your breast - that way she is in control of how much and how fast. It will also be easier for her to pop off if the flow is too fast.

hth
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Many thanks for your advice. I don't seem to feel anything to know that I am having a letdown. Is this normal? When I have pulled off after a few of her sucks there doesn't seem to be a spray, but if I squeeze my breast the milk does seem to spray out a lot. Does this mean I have a forceful letdown?
    I did try and put her on top of me when I was feeding her, but she just got annoyed and started screaming. This maybe because I have quite large breasts, so it makes it difficult to do this and she can't control her head yet, as she's only 10 weeks old.