Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solids & vomit incident

Default Solids & vomit incident

My LO has been on solids for a few weeks now. He's been getting purees mostly - about half an ice cube size serving. Daddy fed him tonight to give Mommy a much needed break. LO ate the full cube serving for dinner. I just woke up to find LO covered in vomit - sheet & bumpers soaked. I'm guessing Daddy fed too much. Should I hold off on the solids for a couple of days or continue as usual?
    SAHM to DS1 (Jan. 08) and DS2 (Jan. 10)

Usually

Default Re: Solids & vomit incident

Was it a food that your LO has had before? I would think that vomit - as opposed to spit-up - could possibly be a sign of an allergic reaction.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I, too, was going to ask if it was something he had had before.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes, he has had peas before without incident. How would I know if it was spit up or vomit. I assumed vomit because there was so much of it but maybe that's not correct.
    Thanks

Usually

I've never dealt with allergies, but I can give you my take on vomiting/spit up. In my experience, vomiting is usually forceful and upsetting to the child. Vomiting also usually pretty well empties the stomach. Normally is only becomes a concern if there are other symptoms such as a fever or rash. Spitting up is usually due to reflux/over feeding/or a strong gag reflex.

Did your ds seem upset? Did he wake up or simply sleep through it? It may simply have been a case of over feeding like your initial thought. If he received double the amount he was use to he may have had an upset tummy and after getting rid of some of it was able to sleep better again, jmo
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

He seemed fine - he was crying, but I think that was more because his jammies were soaked than anything else. I think I was more upset than he was. I'll keep an eye on him tonight. Hopefully it was an isolated incident. Thanks for the input!

Usually

Default Re: Solids & vomit incident - update

Gave my LO peas for the first time since the initial vomit incident. He ate 2 baby spoons of peas at 6:00 tonight. At 9:00 he was vomiting them up. It was vomit not spit up because I could hear the heaving. He vomited in his crib, then on the changing table after he and the sheets had been changed, and once more when I was rocking him to sleep. He was smiling between incidents. He seems fine now. Any thoughts? I'm assuming an allergy except he had no reaction the first time he had peas. Could they have gone bad in the freezer? I defrost in the microwave, but wait for it to cool before he gets it. Could that be the problem? TIA

Usually

IMO, that's just too much of a coincidence to ignore. If I were you, I wouldn't give my LO peas at all anymore and bring it up with the ped. next appointment.

I've read that it can take several exposures to a food before baby will show signs of being allergic.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

It sounds too much like a coincidence and like allergies to me. For my DS, it sometimes took until the fourth day for him to show signs of a reaction (hives, vomiting etc.) I would call your ped and ask for a referral to a pediatric allergist , and both you and DS should avoid peas in the meantime. Peas are relatively easy to avoid, just note that there is a strong cross reactivity between peas lentils, chick-pea, white beans and peanut. If it was me, I would cut all of those out of both of our diets as well until you see a pediatric allergist.

There is an allergy forum under nutrition - there are a lot of us btdt moms who can help you out if he does in fact have allergies.

For us, when DS vomits due to allergies, he seems to bounce right back, and actually feel better afterward. If it is a stomach virus (which he only had once), he was a whiny mess.

Sorry to hear that it happened again.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Also wanted to note that your system generally has to be exposed to the offending food at least once in order to produce the antibodies to that specific food, so your body knows to 'attack' it. So, it makes sense that he did not react to it the first time, since prior to that his system did not have the antibodies against peas, so no reaction. Does that make sense?