Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chewing on hands....9 wks old

Question Can feeding expressed BM sabatoge my supply?

Can Feeding Expressed Breastmilk sabatoge my supply????? My baby is 9 weeks old and i've been BFing since the start. For the past 3 days she's been gnawing on her hands and sucking her fingers when she's ready to feed. At first I thought this was cute. Now i'm getting concerned because even after we're done nursing she starts on her hands like she's still hungry. I'm obviously "empty" at this point but I continue to allow her to nurse knowing nothing is there. This only aggrivates her and she gets fussy so I put her down and she commences to chewing on her hands again. Tonight I poured 2 oz of expressed BM into a bottle and fed it to her which seemed to satisfy her and stop the hand chewing. .

I know feeding formula would sabatoge my supply but will feeding her expressed BM do the same? She started going to sitter 3x/wk 2 weeks ago to get her ready for when I'm back at work this friday so she's already accustomed to the bottle. Thats not an issue. Her still being hungry after i've nursed her on both sides worries me.
    Last edited by @llli*t.biggers; August 3rd, 2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: change title
    Mom to Savannah (2yrs old--BF till 12mo)
    MOM to TREY (19 yrs) didn't breastfeed

Due AUG 2010 with 3rd child
    Plan to at work and at home.

Default Re: Can feeding expressed BM sabatoge my supply?

She might not actually be hungry toward the end of a feeding session - maybe just bored or in need of a burp - just some possibilities to think about (and more here).

One's breasts are never really empty - though they might seem to be (more about that here).

The gnawing of the hands is a typical behaviour for the age your baby is -mainly because they start doing things because of teething... .. here's more about that.

Quote from this page.
    "My baby frequently sucks on his hands. Does this always mean that he's hungry?"
    After the newborn period, hand sucking is not as reliable an indicator of hunger. Starting at around 6-8 weeks, baby will begin to gain more control over his hands and will soon begin to explore his hands and everything else using his mouth. It is also common for babies to suck on their hands when their gums become tender in preparation for tooth eruption. Symptoms of teething can sometimes occur weeks and even months before the first tooth erupts...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks...this was helpful. Last night in middle of night I could hear her sucking her fingers. This was a first. Perhaps it is teething. She woke up 2-3 times. Usually she sleeps from her last feeding (10:30-11:00) until about 4:30 or 5 depending. But last night she woke at 1am, 3am, then again at 5am. She's happy right now. Tummy is full, lying in her crip smiling at her mobile sucking her fingers. She doesn't take a pacifier so my husband is really concerned about the finger sucking becoming a habit.

We'll just wait it out for the next week or so. In the meantime I'll try those little homeopathic teething tablets.
    Mom to Savannah (2yrs old--BF till 12mo)
    MOM to TREY (19 yrs) didn't breastfeed

Due AUG 2010 with 3rd child
    Plan to at work and at home.

my guess would be teething. ds2 has been chewing everything in sight (including his hands which are always readily available) since he's been about 8 weeks old. No teeth yet, but buckets of drool
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: Chewing on hands....9 wks old

My daughter has been chewing her fingers since she was about that age too. She's 5m now and still does it. It isn't that she's hungry and there's no sign of teeth either. She just likes to do it! We just leave her to it as she's happy enough

Default Re: Chewing on hands....9 wks old

My LO is 10 weeks old and she started to suck her hands at around 8 weeks old, too. I too thought it was a sign that she was still hungry but the ped told me she may be teething. When I see/hear her sucking her hands I put a teething ring in her mouth or let her chew on a pacifier. She doesn't like the pacifier so she doesn't suck it but she'll bite down on it and it seems to give her some relief.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months