Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does this pain mean?

Default What does this pain mean?

I'm new to the too much milk board! There's a lot of stuff I don't know, so pardon me asking some questions...

Two days ago, I became engorged in both breasts when my lo went longer stretches at night without nursing. I have used many of the tips I found on this board - and everything is better, except I still have pain in the areas of my breasts where they were engorged. One area is very painful, especially to the touch or when I move in certain ways. There are no lumps that I can tell, and I don't know enough to tell if I have a plugged duct. Any idea what the pain means?

By the way, what is block feeding and what is RPS?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Default Re: What does this pain mean?

Is the pain still there? It does sound like a plugged duct. If it still hurts, some things that can help with a plugged duct are to use moist heat and massage, especially right before nursing (or pumping), nurse on that side first (when your baby is sucking most vigorously), nurse frequently, vary the baby's position on that breast.

Block feeding means using one breast for a block of time, such as three hours. During that time, the baby nurses only on that breast no matter how many times he or she wants to nurse. Then, for the next block, the baby nurses only on the other breast. Some mothers use this method to help with overactive letdown/over supply.

I hope this is helpful!
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMarianne; August 3rd, 2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typos
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Default Re: What does this pain mean?

Yes...that helps.

The pain is gone, but not w/out some work.

I'm returning to work in 3 wks and am very concerned about my oversupply.

I'm trying to get as much info. as possible.