Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: time management in evenings

Default Re: time management in evenings

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    One technique I've found that helps is so say things like: "Do you want to start cooking dinner or do you want to give DS a bath?"
    DH and I use this on each other! A variation, "Would you like me to empty the dishwasher or change the baby's diaper?" (implying that he'll do the other)

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    DH and I use this on each other! A variation, "Would you like me to empty the dishwasher or change the baby's diaper?" (implying that he'll do the other)
    Just as I do with Ally...
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

my DH owns his own business and I work full time DS stays with a sitter, so not sure how much help I'll be

I wake up and Nurse DS in DS's room, bring him to DH to change his diaper and play with in our bed while i get dressed/brush my teeth/etc...
    I take DS to sitter & go to work, after work I p/u DS and go home, Usually I hand him to my DH if he's home/not working so i can change out of work clothes, if he's not available i put him on the bed or floor and talk to him while i change. then we nurse, and either I play with him (while DH continues to work) or DH does (while I do laundry or start dinner) If i haven't been able to cook Dinner I ask DH what are we doing for dinner * this is key because before baby Dinner was all my planning and initiative, I found the only way to get him to truly be involved is to make it a decision WE address together every night * 1 night per week we get takeout from our fave mexican rest, and i try to make suggestive purchases at the store, like i bought some sausage and red beans and rice, easy meals for him to make. DH will cook dinner for us and I instruct him what to make for DS while i nurse, usually just a steamed veggie or rice etc... we eat as a family at 7ish (i wish it was earlier but we don't get home till 6ish) DH usually does the dishes while DS is finishing dinner (bath water running) I clean DS up a little and we nurse more, i hand him to DH while i get pajamas and towels ready, i get in tub, DH brings DS to me, we play and bathe together, DH takes DS and puts his Pj's on, gives a bottle and puts DS to bed (while i wash my hair and pack our things for the next day), occasionally DS wants me instead or in addition to the bottle so i put DS to bed on those nights

woo that was long!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I don't think that anyone has mentioned this ... but I know that there are alot of moms here who do weekly meal planning.

This is a plan where you figure out all the meals for the week and shop for those items. Helps with planning and takes the guess work out of figuring what to make for dinner each night.

Alot of meals you can do advance prep work (cutting veggies, cooking sauce, etc). Perhaps your DH can do some of this prep during your LO's nap. That way at dinner time it's relatively fast & easy to finish cooking the meal all the way.

DS and I are eating a specific diet because of DS food allergies. IMO it's way too much work to prepare more than one dinner, so the only foods that are cooked in the house are things that are safe for me and DS to eat. Absolutely no way I'd prepare a separate dinner for DH. At home he eats what DS and I eat. DH can eat whatever he wants when he's out or I'm not around.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Alot of meals you can do advance prep work (cutting veggies, cooking sauce, etc). Perhaps your DH can do some of this prep during your LO's nap. That way at dinner time it's relatively fast & easy to finish cooking the meal all the way.
    It saved me to wash and cut veggies in advance now that I have to cook dinner every night (2 toddlers). Also, I semi-meal plan and take meat out of the freezer the night before (and let thaw in fridge). I also prep lunches/snacks for DCP the night before as well. I also agree with pp - we do one dinner that's it - no special meals for different family members.